A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So are are you going to update the ToS to tell people that they can't criticize anything here?
I don't see how you can infer or deduce that from what I said. I like to have others critique me. I just don't critique or stress over others without them asking me to. It's a personal choice. However, if you post on an open forum, you invite open discourse, even critical discourse de riguer.

I see little hope of changing our industry through semantics. I just set the example for them to follow should they like what they see.

I don't see how you can infer or deduce that from what I said. I like to have others critique me. I just don't critique or stress over others without them asking me to. It's a personal choice. However, if you post on an open forum, you invite open discourse, even critical discourse de riguer.

I see little hope of changing our industry through semantics. I just set the example for them to follow should they like what they see.
It certainly is not just semantics. I prefer to advocate for better standards and promote agencies (like RAID) that provide such (even though I have no affiliation with RAID).

This is probably bordering on a philosophic question regarding standards, and with my experience level, I hope this comes across clearly but...

With regard to skills standards, it almost seems that it would be helpful if there were a tiered approach to the subject. Trying to get everyone to agree to best practice standards across the board to SCUBA skills is clearly impossible as there are so many opinions on methodology, preferred equipment etc.

But it would be cool if the industry had standards for the most basic of tasks that everyone could agree on. Above and beyond that, it could be different strokes for different folks. Don't know if that's even possible but it would be very helpful for new folks if there were pretty universally accepted "core skills" standards to fall back on and then go from there.
That sort of already exists with the scuba diver vs open water scuba diver. But as one dive center owner told me on FB a ways back, even though some of customers of his only qualified for scuba diver, he'd certify them as open water diver, so they "wouldn't feel bad." There was a fellow here on SB (scuba client or something) who IIRC stated that it was impossible in SEA to require students to meet standards. Now these are two datapoints/comments to which I have no further validation, but it does demonstrate a willingness does exist to violate standards for the sake of business.

Going back to the theoretical diver demographic pyramid, I have had discussions with people frustrated with substandard training they've received. There are two shops that teach with reduced ratios, one of them neutrally buoyant/trimmed in their entire courses, and they are doing quite well. So there is a demand for quality training, and I'd argue it is economically more viable as you get customers who pursue con ed, and stick at the sport as opposed to checking off an item on a bucket list. As an organization, RAID is growing, and I think (my guess) is that this is a reflection of people wanting a higher quality training guaranteed by an agency (so none of this "its the instructor, not the agency" nonsense.

As an organization, RAID is growing, and I think (my guess) is that this is a reflection of people wanting a higher quality training guaranteed by an agency (so none of this "its the instructor, not the agency" nonsense.
1664831822820.png

This guy here is Vermin Supreme. Yes, that is a boot on his head. He runs for President pretty routinely. As a candidate, Vermin Supreme's support is growing, and I think (my guess) is that this is a reflection of people wanting a higher quality candidate.

View attachment 746631
This guy here is Vermin Supreme. Yes, that is a boot on his head. He runs for President pretty routinely. As a candidate, Vermin Supreme's support is growing, and I think (my guess) is that this is a reflection of people wanting a higher quality candidate.
He's got my vote! LOL

Edit: this guy's hilarious! Vermin Supreme - Wikipedia

This is probably bordering on a philosophic question regarding standards, and with my experience level, I hope this comes across clearly but...

With regard to skills standards, it almost seems that it would be helpful if there were a tiered approach to the subject. Trying to get everyone to agree to best practice standards across the board to SCUBA skills is clearly impossible as there are so many opinions on methodology, preferred equipment etc.

But it would be cool if the industry had standards for the most basic of tasks that everyone could agree on. Above and beyond that, it could be different strokes for different folks. Don't know if that's even possible but it would be very helpful for new folks if there were pretty universally accepted "core skills" standards to fall back on and then go from there.
Isn’t that just OW? People who want a bit more can do AOW and RD, people who want a lot more can go pro, tec or other agencies? Isn’t there already that market segmentation?

View attachment 746631
He can't be any worse than anyone we've had in the last 30 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom