A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am afraid to say I have this [MSD] card for fear of the backlash and the accusations that it means nothing. It means the world to me.
I never received a Fundies card, due to some glitch in the system I suppose, though I believe I requested one. If I had one, I would occasionally look at it proudly as I fanned through my deck of cards--the training I received means the world to me--but it's pretty useless as a card. I show my PADI AOW or Rescue card when I do OW rec diving. When I'm in the water, the DM and my fellow divers can see I'm a good diver, and it doesn't matter to anyone, including myself, what cards I possess or what training route I took to become that.

I don't think with 50 logged dives I would have considered myself a master diver, advanced, rescue, or dive master… I took my time over a 2 year span to complete my training and have spent the last 33 years making my skills better with 1000s of dives.

I was just on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor last week, and and they always check your C card when you get on… this lady comes over and slaps a wallet full of cards on the table and I busted out laughing and said "wow that's a lot of cards!"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I never received a Fundies card, due to some glitch in the system I suppose, though I believe I requested one. If I had one, I would occasionally look at it proudly as I fanned through my deck of cards--the training I received means the world to me--but it's pretty useless as a card. I show my PADI AOW or Rescue card when I do OW rec diving. When I'm in the water, the DM and my fellow divers can see I'm a good diver, and it doesn't matter to anyone, including myself, what cards I possess or what training route I took to become that.

The fact it can double as a Nitrox (well up to 32%) and drysuit card is handy, depending on what you did during training. Don't know of anyplace that actually asks for doubles or primary light c cards though lol

The fact it doubles as a Nitrox and drysuit card is handy. Don't know of anyplace that actually asks for doubles or primary light c cards though lol
I think older Fundies cards may not have that information on them. I read in another thread that newer Fundies cards say "drysuit" (and doubles?) So yeah, maybe before I make it over to Silfra I'll request a Fundies card.

Do you agree that in many situations good trim is necessary to preserve the marine environment and for the safety of divers?
Of course. Do you agree that trim is the least essential skill if one is trying to provide gas to another diver and also shoot a DSMB?

Reactions: Zef
I think older Fundies cards may not have that information on them. I read in another thread that newer Fundies cards say "drysuit" (and doubles?) So yeah, maybe before I make it over to Silfra I'll request a Fundies card.

Yeah sort of my thought, handy for the few place in the world you might travel and rent a drysuit to dive. The current cards will say doubles/drysuit/primary light based off what you did in the class is my understanding, with everyone getting 32% nitrox and skills refinement.

Of course. Do you agree that trim is the least essential skill if one is trying to provide gas to another diver and also shoot a DSMB?

Ok, that's good. So part of the goal fundies is assessing your readiness for further training. One of the ways of accomplishing this is to task load the students with multiple skills, e.g., SMB deployment, Gas Sharing, and ascent with stops on a schedule. By tasks loading, the student you're assessing their ability to maintain awareness of their team, trim and buoyancy while solving problems underwater. Which is fundamental to being a safe and competent diver.

As for your question, is trim necessary for gas sharing; without good trim, it is easier to lose control of your buoyancy because of lack of resistance against the water and potential issues in venting your drysuit and wing. Additionally, horizontal trim is required for effective propulsion. Having effective propulsion is required to be able to safely and efficiently donate gas. So while it may not be the most important aspect, it is required to provide a platform for you to perform the other skills proficiently.

Yeah sort of my thought, handy for the few place in the world you might travel and rent a drysuit to dive. The current cards will say doubles/drysuit/primary light based off what you did in the class is my understanding, with everyone getting 32% nitrox and skills refinement.
1662568031375.png

The card issued a few months ago.

View attachment 742299
The card issued a few months ago.
Assuming you had a tech pass and a drysuit? I don't recall now, was the drysuit mandatory for the tech pass, didn't think it was? I'm sure an expert can come in an correct/confirm it. Fundies is where I hop off the DIR/GUE train.

Assuming you had a tech pass and a drysuit? I don't recall now, was the drysuit mandatory for the tech pass, didn't think it was? I'm sure an expert can come in an correct/confirm it. Fundies is where I hop off the DIR/GUE train.
Yes, tech pass in a drysuit, although my wife's rec pass says the same thing because she did it in tech config.

A drysuit is not required for a tech/rec pass.

Back
Top Bottom