A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all you have are core skills, you'd be missing out on much of the enjoyment of diving

Nah that is when the real fun begins. Because you don't have to think through diving, you can now spare brain power to activities that don't directly have to do with the dive itself.

I've said it a few times in my thread in the technical forum, the cave I saw during my cave course or in the dives just after I got certified looks night and day different from the cave I see today. "Is that a clay layer? Looks at those drip marks down the wall. OH LOOK A FOSSIL!"

Heck it was the same thing during the last weekend I was in Jupiter the first dive on the first day was horrible. I was out of my element because I was out of practice for that sort of diving. So I had to think through a lot of things. Day 2 was much better because I was much more in tune to that sort of diving.

Nah that is when the real fun begins. Because you don't have to think through diving, you can now spare brain power to activities that don't directly have to do with the dive itself.

I've said it a few times in my thread in the technical forum, the cave I saw during my cave course or in the dives just after I got certified looks night and day different from the cave I see today. "Is that a clay layer? Looks at those drip marks down the wall. OH LOOK A FOSSIL!"
I've said enough about Fundies today, but I have to say I felt that way looking at a coral reef after Fundies. In a post above I described the effect as "freeing up some of the mind's bandwidth from the mundane bits and letting the diver focus on whatever it is that's important to them, whether that be looking at pretty fish or whatever."

I am afraid to say I have this card for fear of the backlash and the accusations that it means nothing.
First, congratulations!
Second, ignore any such backlash, as the backlash itself means nothing, is based on nothing, and says much more negatively about the backlasher than it does about the backlashee.

Why is horizontal trim so important if donating gas and shooting an SMB? Arbitrary task requirement for ego stroking.

It shows control in the water in a training environment. If you can't maintain your trim while task loaded, it shows that you've not reached an acceptable level for trim and buoyancy management. The ability to hover in the water with good trim and buoyancy is the foundation for all diving skills.

First, congratulations!
Second, ignore any such backlash, as the backlash itself means nothing, is based on nothing, and says much more negatively about the backlasher than it does about the backlashee.

100%, while I personally think its a cash grab certification, it absolutely means things to some people, and shouldn't be ridiculed about it, unless they start a SB thread about it lol jk. Yeah I would generally stray away from them as an insta buddy, and wouldn't advise anyone getting it, but if someone came on the boat super excited about just earning it I'd be happy for them and congratulate them I'd also never talk **** on the MSD cert on a dive boat/shop/site (for the above reason, yeah I don't value it at all but that doesn't mean others don't, and no need to dump on other's happiness). I don't think those are mutually exclusive view points. When I was deployed there was this Marine who got just MOUNTAINS of crap dumped on him since he knit when he was off duty, it was what he did to connect to grandma who raised him. Meant something to him, I mean knitting in a combat zone is probably more useful than the MSD cert on a dive boat but still lol. When I asked about it he was super excited someone was actually asking him about it and engaging with him on it. Everyone is welcome to their viewpoints, just don't be an ass to people in real life and all is well.

When I was deployed there was this Marine who got just MOUNTAINS of crap dumped on him since he knit when he was off duty, it was what he did to connect to grandma who raised him. Meant something to him, I mean knitting in a combat zone is probably more useful than the MSD cert on a dive boat but still lol.

And everyone laughed until killed six enemy fighters with his knitting needles after he ran out of ammo for his rifle. :rofl3:

It shows control in the water in a training environment. If you can't maintain your trim while task loaded, it shows that you've not reached an acceptable level for trim and buoyancy management. The ability to hover in the water with good trim and buoyancy is the foundation for all diving skills.
Thanks for trying to answer my question, but the answer is circular logic. It is important because otherwise your trim is not acceptable. You set a target and try and hit it; I understand that. But why is that particular target the one selected? You are going to donate air to me whether or not your trim is perfect, aren't you?

You’ve changed the goal posts from being safe and competent to a comparison of agency standards at MSD. Originally you said: ‘How to be a good and safe buddy to my partner(s). How being proficient in the water makes it fun and safe. How to practice to be the best diver I can be.’

I never said that.

I don't believe that the typical MSD has reached a level where I'd consider them safe and competent in the water based on my in-water observations of 5 people who have told me they're MSD. They lacked foundational skills needed to dive without disturbing the environment (trim and non-silting kicks), sufficient buoyancy control to avoid disturbing the environment, and many of them did a lot of hand swimming, further disturbing the environment. They did not have sufficient understanding of dive planning to, in my opinion, safely execute the dives they were conducting.

New divers should focus on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion in that order.

Thanks for trying to answer my question, but the answer is circular logic. It is important because otherwise your trim is not acceptable. You set a target and try and hit it; I understand that. But why is that particular target the one selected? You are going to donate air to me whether or not your trim is perfect, aren't you?
Do you agree that in many situations good trim is necessary to preserve the marine environment and for the safety of divers?

Back
Top Bottom