A Concern for all Bonaire Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the ATVs buzzing around town when we were there over Christmas/New Years and noticed the jet skis too. I think I will have to rent one next trip for one of the days my wife doesn't feel like diving. Also, the jet skis could be a cool way to get over to Klein for sun bathing/snorkeling or maybe a shore dive (have to figure out how to carry the tank)

Nothing good can come out of this. What happens when a ATV hits your truck? And when we were in CABO last year jet skis were all over the top of you when we were diving. And yes you can set boundaries but no one can stop them from going out of them and over dive sites. I think this has something to do with the cruise ships.

When I see people on ATV's or jet skiis, I simply shoot them. I get so tired of those who feel they have the right to intrude upon my quiet and to unnecessarily burn up fossil fuels. Of course the pictures often come out blurry... I guess I should increase my shutter speed.

smokey braden:
cecil,
could you please show the info here?
i'm unable to go directly to that site.

Interests wish to rent ATV's to tour Slagbai Park.
They promise extra quiet mufflers.
They promise small groups.
They promise a "certified" guide in front and back
They promise.... a lot of othefr stuff.

At last, the cruise ship pod people will have something to do, and then tell their friends about Bonaire, so the cruise ships will continue to come.

Follow the money. If they only put this much effort into watching the shore dive parking sites. As in http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/32/271740.html?1163731899

Bonaire is certainly in my Top 5 in the Caribbean, it is only a matter of time before success spoils it. I believe that their Government system is changing this year, something about going back with the Motherland.

Thanks Roatanman also. Here's the original post.

Hello fellow Bonaire lovers,

a few days ago, I received disturbing information that authorities on Bonaire were considering allowing All Terrain Vehicles into Washington Slagbaai National Park. Having seen the damage, irresponsible use of these has done to areas of my town's parks, my state's parks and in some of the U.S. National Parks (including designated "natural" areas), I could not sit idly by. I beg of you to join me in a letter writing campaign in hopes we may convince the authorities on Bonaire not to allow this form of recreation at Washington Slagbaai.

The following is what I sent out a little while ago to the following e-mail addresses:

info@stinapa.org, director@stinapa.org, washingtonpark@stinapa.org

quote:

Greetings from Vermont,

I have been visiting Bonaire for over ten years, sometimes twice a year because your island, your underwater and land based parks/sanctuaries and the local people are so wonderful. Yesterday I received rather disturbing news from several friends that are residents of Bonaire that some people have been considering allowing All Terrain Vehicles in one of your most precious jewels - Washington Slagbaai National Park and that visitors to the park have been asked how they feel about this matter.

While I dread seeing these vehicles being used off road anywhere on Bonaire, I am totally against allowing A.T.V's anywhere in the park. I have seen first hand damage done to local natural areas and recreation paths by irresponsible operators of these vehicles that have gone off of roads to "play" which is what they were designed for. While walking on the trails I mention I have also had tranquil moments ruined and witnessed birds take to the sky fleeing the noise of A.T.V.'s and motocross bikes.

Please, dear Sirs and Madams, I implore of you to do what you can to protect and keep Washington Slagbaai National Park the way it is; quiet, safe, and pristine.

I thank you for your consideration!

Warmest regards,
Thomas J. Cousino
Colchester, Vermont

Again my friends, I ask you to join myself and others by writing your own letters to: info@stinapa.org, director@stinapa.org, washingtonpark@stinapa.org . I also encourage you to share this with all of the people in your e-mail address books who might give a damn about protecting this wonderful park, in hopes they too will join us in this matter.
Be well,
T

I'm heading back to Bonaire next Friday and am a little concerned about what I'm going to find after reading this. Please tell me my favorite place in the Caribbean hasn't been overrun by jetskis and pod people!

I'm putting my letter together now...

D_O_H:
I'm heading back to Bonaire next Friday and am a little concerned about what I'm going to find after reading this. Please tell me my favorite place in the Caribbean hasn't been overrun by jetskis and pod people!

I'm putting my letter together now...

Who are you planning on complaining to? It's just free enterprise. The ships don't dock on a whim. Somebody in the local government threw out the "Welcome Mat".

Anyway, I was there last week and it's just fine.

You shouldn't worry too much about the "Pod People". I was one of them. They gave us about 6 hours on the island and none of it was for jetskiing. I got in two incredible shore dives behind Bonaire Dive & Adventure and liked it so much I'm going back for a week on March 17.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom