99 year old scuba tank--tall tale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23:
i am very sceptical that a 99 year old tank could even close to pass hydro, i doubt tanks made in 1907 could pass hyrdo brand new back then. Did they even have hydro back then? I am not an expert by any means but unless that 99 year old tank was sealed in a vaccum and never used then i would say there is no way it would hold up to hyrdo standards. Maybe there are different standards for non scuba tanks.

Maybe the tank was only rated to 1000 psi..... lots of unanswered questions....

Why would you be surprised that they could pass hydro? The methods for making pressure cylinders have not changed much and the materials used are not necessarily as good.

Both scuba tanks and other commercial gas cylinders are all made to the same set of specifications depending on the working pressure and material so a 2250 psi steel scuba tank and a 2250 psi steel oxygen welding tank are no different. The care they receive determines their life. The main enemy of a steel tank of any kind is internal rust. Scuba tanks are more likely to get water in them from careless compressor operators and shop people who fill them. This is not so likely in the case of commercial gas cylinders because of the way the gases are produced they are completely dry. Age and use alone does not affect tank life.

JS1scuba:
My father was born in 1920. We hydro him every few years and we keep him around. So far even with a few dings and dents he's still working fine. He may not be the latest technology but his vessel still holds well.

Cheers,

You HYDRO your father :confused::confused::confused:

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom