99 year old scuba tank--tall tale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
yeah, like Luis H says, people who got into scuba in the late 40's and 50's had these tanks lying around from other uses, and basically started using them for scuba purposes

makes a lot of sense

What did those divers find lying around to convert into the breathing regulator????

The oldest tanks I have seen are 1909, but there could be a few older. The stamp, if there is one would not be a "DOT" Department of Transportation one, it would be ICC for Interstate Commerce Commision. I do not know the first date that the ICC stamp was required. I would guess late 20's or into the 30's.

The first modern regs were imported into the US in 1949, but there could be a few earlier ones that came over from Europe starting in late 45 or 46. But they would be few and far between. Many of the first tanks were converted aircraft oxygen and fire extinguisher bottles. So, a smaller bottle from 1907 with a 1/2" pipe thread is not out of the question and as long as no water ever got in and they were taken care of, there is no reason they would not be good to go today.

Interestingly enough, many of those old tanks that are not used for SCUBA have never been hydrodynamically tested since they were built. I saw some oxygen tanks at a welder's that were built in the 50's and had never been hydro'd, nor had they ever been visually inspected. The guy said that unless you had to transport them the DOT requirements do not apply. He had someone come to his shop and fill the tanks there. I am not sure if he was right, but I wouldn't want to be around when they get filled.

superstar:
What did those divers find lying around to convert into the breathing regulator????

well, some people did adapt existing regulators, such as Calor Gas regulators.

but most people had to purchase them from Cousteau or a licensed manufacturer
(the Aqua Lung was marketed commercially in France in 1946, Great Britain 1950, Canada 1951, and the USA 1952)

the first independent manufacturer i know of is Poseidon, in 1958 (first single hose regulator, so it got around Coustau's pattent), although Ted Eldred is said to have marketted the Porpoise in Australia back in 1952 as a single-hose unit.

While at work several years ago looking through a rack of commercial oxygen welding cylinders one had an original date of 1898 and restamps every 5 years.

My father was born in 1920. We hydro him every few years and we keep him around. So far even with a few dings and dents he's still working fine. He may not be the latest technology but his vessel still holds well.

Cheers,

Matt S.:
I was chatting with my LDS guy while renting a tank and he mentioned that a nintety nine year old tank just passed hydro at the shop.

I don't see why a steel tank could not last that long if well cared for, but I was having a hard time figuring out what such a tank would have been made for 100 years ago, well before scuba was invented. And how could the threads have been compatible with a modern valve assembly? Can you rethread a cylinder?

If it's true, what a conversation piece that diver has.

"SCUBA" existed prior to Gagnon/Cousteau. Their contribution, and a major one it was, is the demand regulator.
I suppose it's possible (not that I am going to research it) there are "SCUBA" tanks as old as your LDS claims.

The helmet you see in 4th picture has a hose from the tank to your mouth-what you call a helmet is actually a mask or called a "gwa" which is not spelled correct but is pronounced like I spelled it which means pig snout in French.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom