8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yay!! What great news to hear first thing on a rainy Monday morning stuck at work.

I'm sure that will be quite a tale.

Yet another reason to have long burn times on our light choices.
The latest LED's have unbelievable burn times, i'm going for a couple, especially that 3w and/or 5w Oxycheq LED.

All the best,
Geoff

I wonder how visible their strobes were at night. I'm sure the helicopter must have been pretty close by even to catch a glimmer!

Still, if you dive in the open ocean, it really makes sense to carry more safety/signaling equipment than less!

I wonder how visible their strobes were at night. I'm sure the helicopter must have been pretty close by even to catch a glimmer!

Still, if you dive in the open ocean, it really makes sense to carry more safety/signaling equipment than less!
Actually, scuba camera strobes are very bright and could be useful signaling to a plane even in daylight. There'd be a good contrast against the ocean if the sun was not reflecting from the same direction and not too many white caps. Worth a try anyway.

In strong currents, they might not have taken strobes - just cameras, but they give off a good flash. My camera battery may not last as long as my strobe, but it outlasts the 160 pic SD card I carry in it.
any new news about this story?
On the net, this thread is the top hit. Under Google News, two stories still show them missing, two found....
The Press Association: Divers rescued after 40-hour ordeal
AFP: Miracle rescue for Taiwanese divers
Others on the net...
Missing Taiwanese divers rescued at sea - Yahoo! News
The Associated Press
And others that may be duplicates of these.

Since one of the posters here knows one of the members of the dive group, it would be nice if they could be contracted and invited to post a personal story.

We are probably not going to get too much more information from the media as news moves fast in Taiwan. Number one news story seems to be a kitchen item was thrown out the window...or some actress was caught crying. I will be back down in Kending this Wed night and will have more information to post at that time.

But its good to hear that they are all safe....

I'm curious about the splitting up of the group. How wise a decision was this? My head says stick together, and if you see the shoreline, swim for it.

Back
Top Bottom