8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The print news still reports that they are all missing. But I am watching real time news here in Taiwan - one news station reported they were all found, but now they have said they can't confirm that, all they can confirm is that 6 of the 8 are found, and in the hospital. The conditions in the water are getting worse today, waves are higher and some bad weather is moving in.

News is now reporting they are all ashore and ALIVE! 36+ hours in the water and made it. Sorry no more details from me as I gotta get to work.
I do hope that this is true, all 8 - not just 6. 36 hours drifting is a lonnng time. I can only imagine the despair.
Ya think these people will have a story for the grandkids? Hollywood has probably sent a crew already to start a movie. Great ending... Let's hope there aren't any long term physical problems.

Bruce
I was wondering. If they do, hope they try to use the facts.
The print news still reports that they are all missing. But I am watching real time news here in Taiwan - one news station reported they were all found, but now they have said they can't confirm that, all they can confirm is that 6 of the 8 are found, and in the hospital. The conditions in the water are getting worse today, waves are higher and some bad weather is moving in.
So is there more than one source saying that they're all safe...?

This story is dated tomorrow and says they're all still missing...?
No trace of 8 missing divers found yet - The China Post

Found!! I just got word through my employer that my friend (the 44 year old female) has been found!! This came directly from her husband, who was down at the dive site waiting for news. I didn't hear anything specifically about the other person that was with her, but my hope is that he was rescued at the same time.

Found!! I just got word through my employer that my friend (the 44 year old female) has been found!! This came directly from her husband, who was down at the dive site waiting for news. I didn't hear anything specifically about the other person that was with her, but my hope is that he was rescued at the same time.
Wonderful! Looks like the Chinese news is running behind on this story, but then that's not surprising.

Thank God, that is fantastic news!

I read in a Taiwanese dive forum that all 8 are saved.
They didn't quote any links or source, but many of them are well connected to the local diving scenes.
Hope this is true.

Just saw it on news.
All are in the hospital now receiving treatment for dehydration and sunburnt.

The news even have a clip of an interview with the nephew of the owner of that dive op.
He said that the current underwater was in reverse direction as opposed to the surface, and they couldn't inform the boatman. They drifted off and saw the search helicopters flying over their head twice without spotting them. They felt at that point that if they were to survive, they need to rely on themselves. They could see the shores of mainland and so he swam to shore to get help.

The father of one of the 8 divers was interviewed as well.
According to him the divers used flash from their cameras to alert the choppers and thats how they were discovered.

According to him the divers used flash from their cameras to alert the choppers and thats how they were discovered.
Important resource to think of at the time. The strobe can be fired even if the camera batteries are dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom