8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious about the splitting up of the group. How wise a decision was this? My head says stick together, and if you see the shoreline, swim for it.
Me, too. My guess was that it'd be difficult to keep 8 people holding onto each other, but more feasible in groups of 4 each, but keep the groups together. Either way sounds challenging especially in strong currents, but we really can't make much of what the news reports say.

I'm just dying to know if any of the 8 had a SMB. If so, why wasn't it spotted?
There was an earlier post...
Just saw it on news.
All are in the hospital now receiving treatment for dehydration and sunburnt.

The news even have a clip of an interview with the nephew of the owner of that dive op.
He said that the current underwater was in reverse direction as opposed to the surface, and they couldn't inform the boatman. They drifted off and saw the search helicopters flying over their head twice without spotting them. They felt at that point that if they were to survive, they need to rely on themselves. They could see the shores of mainland and so he swam to shore to get help.

The father of one of the 8 divers was interviewed as well.
According to him the divers used flash from their cameras to alert the choppers and thats how they were discovered.
With "....current underwater was in reverse direction as opposed to the surface, and they couldn't inform the boatman," then the search would be ahead of the divers drifting in the surface current since they surfaced up current far from the boat - perhaps too far from a SMB to be seen, and the crew looking the wrong direction.

"They drifted off and saw the search helicopters flying over their head twice without spotting them." How visible can a diver be from a plane? Even a SMB would be difficult to spot above. I carry a long list of signaling devices and with planes in mind this includes a signal mirror, 2 dive lights even on all day dives - one is a 2 day burn LED light, camera with strobe that can be fired independently from the camera, and a white kitchen trash bag that can float flat on the surface tied to me or maybe be inflated at night with a dive light shinning into it. I have not tested the last idea yet, but it's worth a try.

Very glad they are all well. Praise GOD for that!!

About my remarks about the Chinese news agency...

It was suggested that my remarks were unfair, and I guess they were. Our news media sensationalizes and rushes a story before having all the facts. Maybe the Chinese were slow, and if so it might have been to confirm the FACTS before they reported the news. I do apologize for my poor choice of words. I've never been to China and know very little about the culture, so my loose remark was certainly unjustified. Thank you

wow what an amazing story!!! Im guessing their not getting in the water for a while huh? So happy to hear a happy ending though :) Makes me really think about what im diving with.... or better yet, with out. I really dont have any safety gear that i should...... I think im heading to the dive shop!

wow what an amazing story!!! Im guessing their not getting in the water for a while huh? So happy to hear a happy ending though :) Makes me really think about what im diving with.... or better yet, with out. I really dont have any safety gear that i should...... I think im heading to the dive shop!
It does amaze me how many divers will get onto a boat headed to sea without a SMB, etc. 200+ dives, surely you do...?

On some liveaboards they loan you one and require you to carry it, and I am amazed that anyone needs to borrow one. I saw a guest DM and a newbie swept down current from a Blackbeards once before sundown, but it was dark by the time the chase boat got them. A few more minutes and it could have been too dark to find them - neither with a light. In fact the boat used my dive light to signal the chase boat. I won't do another Blackbeards.

There was an earlier post...

With "....current underwater was in reverse direction as opposed to the surface, and they couldn't inform the boatman," then the search would be ahead of the divers drifting in the surface current since they surfaced up current far from the boat - perhaps too far from a SMB to be seen, and the crew looking the wrong direction.

"They drifted off and saw the search helicopters flying over their head twice without spotting them." How visible can a diver be from a plane? Even a SMB would be difficult to spot above. I carry a long list of signaling devices and with planes in mind this includes a signal mirror, 2 dive lights even on all day dives - one is a 2 day burn LED light, camera with strobe that can be fired independently from the camera, and a white kitchen trash bag that can float flat on the surface tied to me or maybe be inflated at night with a dive light shinning into it. I have not tested the last idea yet, but it's worth a try.

Don, that white trash bag is an excellent idea! Thanks!

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom