8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We seldom get more info unless the divers themselves hear about the thread and choose to post themselves - and that's rare. I do speculate based on what I read here about what I'd hope I'd do, what I hope I'd have with me, etc so as to learn...
> Like String suggested, pop the SMB from depth so the boat knows where you are going - a good idea even without a surprise change in current.
> I have some friends who were caught in a surprise current change off a Bonaire boat once; their SMBs were in their dive bags back on the boat. :11:

Unbelivable - 8 in ........ 8 out - As a new diver I have been wondering what type of gear I need and the rationale behind it. No more -

Really made me think and consider things I hadn't before.

Unbelivable - 8 in ........ 8 out - As a new diver I have been wondering what type of gear I need and the rationale behind it. No more -

Really made me think and consider things I hadn't before.
Makes you want to hook a chase boat onto your reel instead of a SMB, huh.

Obviously their experience has caused many people to rethink their safety equipment. I know I did (bought a strobe and a bigger SMB). Now I'm thinking about floating on the surface for 50 or so hours. I just started thinking about what to do to make the surface portion as effortless as possible, thinking about all the possibilities of weight integrated/non-integrated BCs, back bladder versus jacket, etc.

It would be interesting to know what they did with their equipment while on the surface. Did they dump all their weights or just adjust their trim to float easier? Were they diving steel or aluminum tanks? Did they drop their tanks (steel) or keep them (aluminum)? Did they take their BC's off at any point and just lay on it to change position in the water? Were any of them wearing hoods?

Hoods with built in reflective material might be redundant overkill, but I bet I know 8 divers that would buy them.

We just had a major Dive industry trade show here in Taiwan over the weekend.... Sales of SMB's and signaling strobes were, needless to say, extremely brisk.

The word is unfortunately that that Taiwan government is going to close 7-star for the foreseeable future, which will deny those of us that have dove there incident free for years access to one of Asia's truly last frontier class dive sites.

A real shame. :(

Hoods with built in reflective material might be redundant overkill, but I bet I know 8 divers that would buy them.

Ive got SOLAS strips on my hood, drysuit and SMBs. They're VERY effective at reflecting even the slightest bit of light (to the extend that any U/W photos of my overexpose).

String, thanks for the info on SOLAS reflective tape. Looks like it is easily available at marine supply stores or online. Definitely going to get me some.

mjbTaiwan, sorry to hear about the closure. That's a typical government response until someone can mandate or legislate controls that would prevent a recurrence and the expense of another S&R effort.

Ive got SOLAS strips on my hood, drysuit and SMBs. They're VERY effective at reflecting even the slightest bit of light (to the extend that any U/W photos of my overexpose).
[c]
stripes.jpg

[/c]

I have a suggestion. I carry all the safety devices mentioned, Whistle, mirror, smb, Dye marker, Horn, and what I consider to be the best money spent on a safety item, A VHF RADIO.
I put the vhf radio in a otter box. You can buy the box for $15 and the radio from $60 on up.
Way cheaper than the ebirb type device for divers which calls the coast guard and sends a signal for them to track you at a price or around $1,000 last I checked. I know the vhf doesn't have the range but think of what the most likely circumstance would be where you would need it. Your a quarter mile or more from the boat, to far for any other device to get the boats attention especially if they don't expect you to come up for another 30 minutes. My radio is water proof to 10ft and that will cost you over $100. If the boat knows you have a radio as I always tell the boat captain, they will listen for you. Range can be up to 5 miles depending on many factors, wave height, boat antenna, weather, etc.. A plane can hear you or any other nearby boat. For the cost I think it's the cheapest and best insurance you can have but I have never seen anyone but my wife and I carry a radio. My wife and I each carry one at all times. The otter box has never flooded in 3 years of use down to 130fsw. Last time I posted this suggestion on scuba board I got alot of negative comments with reasons why it wasn't a good item to use, you can do a search to find my original write up about 2-3yrs ago which was also published in scuba diver. If anyone can come up with a better thought for the PRICE I would certainly like to hear about it. The radio is not the ultimate protection, but for the most likely scenario, especially where you can see the boat/plane but your to far away to be seen, I think it's a good addition to your safety gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom