6/27/09 7th Annual Venice Beach and Birthday Dive Bash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any locals know what the surf is going to look like? Will you be able to get boat close to the beach or even beach the boat. My only experience boating Venice is out the inlet and to the bone yard. I am planning on running down to venice and diving the bone yard that weekend.

If we put all the tents together we lose all deniability that it isn't one large group taking over the beach. If we make them separate they have to ask each of us individually if we're part of one group. I like the social side of having them all together.

Great post Dennis. I too like the idea of having them together. Simply because more often then not anyone new attending feels a bit left out, like there are seperate camps, when everyone has their own seperate tent/spot. At least this is what I have found to be true.

Really, it wasn't that difficult to get the permit. So I don't know why it seems no one wants to call. Why chance getting busted and paying a fine? Actually it only helps the parks people, if we let them know we are coming. For instance; all the bags and bags of trash we have been leaving in years prior - they will be there to pick it up instead of the animals scattering it overnight and making more work for the parks department. Further, they ask we do something in return to get the permit free. Something like a beach/ocean clean-up. Most, if not all of us, already do that anyway so...

Any locals know what the surf is going to look like? Will you be able to get boat close to the beach or even beach the boat. My only experience boating Venice is out the inlet and to the bone yard. I am planning on running down to venice and diving the bone yard that weekend.

Too far out to tell. Jamie will try to get in as close as possible to the beach but you will have to wade out to meet the boat. Of course, if it is too rough he will cancel.

Someone who arrived later remarked that it seemed like some were "separating" themselves from the rest of the group.

I think Jenny asked before to just leave it out... No one wants to go there, really.

CoolTech:
Someone who arrived later remarked that it seemed like some were "separating" themselves from the rest of the group.

I think Jenny asked before to just leave it out... No one wants to go there, really.
I don't know what "it" is.

This statement was/is the justification to the question of "Do we want the canopies in a line or separated this year?"

Actually, I have called to get a permit and it seems that nobody in the office feels it's important enough to call me back. LOL! I called the day permits was originally discussed, and I called again yesterday. Well, message said I'd get a call back within 24 hours, so I may still get a call back today. I'm not going to break my back if nobody wants to call me back, though. :eek:)

Bill, I am soooooo excited you can make it!!! Yay!!!

Fun stuff! I'm really looking forward to this! :eek:)

You can get your boat to the sand bar depending on the tides. Will you be joining us? As far as surf conditions that day, only Mother Nature knows what she will give us. Hopefully she will be smiling and give us sunny skys, under 1' seas and excellent vis.

Oh no! Now you've cursed us! :)

Surely you're not speaking of me...right???:blinking:

The first beach party is of legend. Why we tried again is anybody's guess. Huge waves, red tide, everybody that even got near the water lost gear, and thunderstorms. Anybody remember "Bowliing for Ducks?" :rofl3:

A couple years ago the water spouts did not deter us.. I *think* it cleared up to be a very nice day.

My first one last year was very nice. Gorgeous day no real surf, hotter then blazes! Remember the one thing peoples, SUNBLOCK!!!! We aint yankees we dont do the lobster look well.

Ya'll know that I will be there, just haven't been online in awhile... working out details for other issues right now as well, but either I or all of us will be there, 2-4 peeps.... see ya underwater..

You can get your boat to the sand bar depending on the tides. Will you be joining us? As far as surf conditions that day, only Mother Nature knows what she will give us. Hopefully she will be smiling and give us sunny skys, under 1' seas and excellent vis.
I am planning on being there, I will know for sure when I have boat hooked to truck and I am driving down Friday night. You know how it is, plan the dive and try to dive the plan. I dove bone yard a couple weeks ago, solo, drifted skiff above me and just set anchor as I found nice spots. I have never dove off venice beach, I was wondering if I could hit the shore by skiff so I could meet some other SB members.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom