51 F In Jupiter!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What the Fudge!?! It is October and it was 51F Degrees on the bottom in Jupiter today! This is a new personal record for me which I have no intention of breaking. Normally I bail at 68F -- Is this the end of the world climate change where heliocopters fuel lines freeze and fall from the sky? There was a massive fish kill as well showing the speed of the temperature change. In an area where there where 20-30 300# + G Groupers there where still 20 to 30 fish and a couple Eels laying on the bottom dead. I saw another fish laying upside down gasping freezing to death. Times like these I am glad I do not have kids.. I am not certain their grandkids would have a planet to live on..

---------- Post Merged at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Someone commented on the Boat today.. "I meant to come dive in Jupiter Florida, Not the PLANET Jupiter!"

Mayan calender------Dec. 21, 2012-------We'll all be 'crispy critters'......It's OK, the earth needs a rest from the human race ;P !!!!!!

eric: was this some sort of upwelling that we occasionally get. but even if this is attributed to upwellings, 51 degrees is a bit colder than I've experienced in past upwellings.

Wow, thats more than 30 degree colder than my dives on Sept 20 and 21. It's probably also below my tolerated temperature in my maximum environmental protection in FL, a full 5mm with a 3/5 mm hooded vest. That's the water temp I'm prepared to dive in San Diego year round.

Orlando, what sites were you on in Jupiter. Was the temperature the same and was it depth related, ie. thermocline?

Best, Craig

It was 66 degrees at 75' when I dove there back in July, and even at 66 degrees I saw a dead baby sea turtle and a lot of lethargic fish. Even the big sea turtles seemed sluggish. I came back in August and dove a wreck at 185' and it was 62 degrees at that depth, but it was MUCH warmer at 75' on that dive (80 degrees). It's my understanding that this happens down there. I certainly learned to bring my 7mm if I am going to be diving in the area...just in case.

NOOOO ... will be down there next month. Guess I should be bringing some thicker protection then I planned. I'm used to the cold up here, but was coming to Fla to escape the cold water

I was out yesterday and the thermocline gradually chased us inshore. We had 76, then 74, then 61 degrees out deep. Our last drop we went to an inshore reef at 70fsw that was warm except for the bottom 5 feet where it dropped to 75. It seems like today it was cold everywhere. It was interesting to see it coming in gradually yesterday. Blue Tang has canceled for tomorrow. Hopefully it warms up by Saturday. Selfishly, I'm diving. LOL!

Hey Amazz ... I was planning on coming out with you guys on the Blue Tang. I was planning on wearing my 3 mil full. Should that be good?

Back in the mid to late nineties, when I was doing a lot of tech dives off of Juno/ Jupiter and Singer Island, we would get inversions like this, even in July. It happened more back then, maybe it is a cycle. It caused us to plan on using dry suits for 200 to 300 foot dives, even in July, because we were needing to abort every 3rd or 4th time we would go out, using a wetsuit or skin in what seemed to be warm water :) A dive could start at 78 degrees, then suddenly at around 150, we would hit a thremo cline so sharp that you could feel your feet and then calves going numb, in less than a minute....As we would abort, and head up, you start kicking your knees, cause that is all you feel :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom