GulfLand Wreck (aka Gregory Norman Wreck)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CosbySweater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was introduced to a new-to-me wreck site located in the Jupiter area. It's the remains of the GulfLand Wreck. It's commonly referred to as the Gregory Norman Wreck or Norman's wreck due to its proximity to pro golfer Greg Noman's estate on Jupiter Island.

The site is about 5 miles North of the Jupiter inlet, 0.5 miles off the beach, adjacent to Hobe Sound. She sits in 30-35 feet of water on a sandy bottom, oriented with her bow pointed NNW. A careful eye can spot the wreckage on google maps. While difficult to discern underwater due to poor visibility, the wreckage is about 150 feet long and 40-50 feet wide with several debris piles adjacent to the main wreckage. The wreckage itself it interesting and includes many swim throughs and holes for critters and divers alike to explore and some substantial vertical relief. When I dove it, it was covered in silversides and pilchards. I spotted a juvenile goliath grouper, a mature goliath inside the wreck, and a green moray. Many blennies, scorpion fish, and hawk fish were littered throughout. Also spotted were schools of snook, spadefish, and mangrove snapper. A macro photographer may find this site interesting as there is lots of natural sunlight and small critters to spot and identify.

Even more interesting is the history of the wreck. The wreckage as it sits today is the bow section of the GulfLand tanker, built in 1918 by the New York Ship Corporation of Camden, New Jersey. She was 391 feet long, had a 51 foot beam and displaced 5,277 gross tons. She met her fate on October 21, 1943.

The GulfLand caught fire after it collided with the GulfBelle on October 21, 1943 off Lake worth Inlet. At the time she was one route to from Beaumont Texas to Jacksonville, FL with a cargo of aviation fuel. Both vessels has been running without lights to avoid German submarines (in accordance with the wartime blackout). The bow of the GulfBelle had sliced into the port bow of the GulfLand and both ships caught fire as did the water around them."

The two ship eventually separated and the GulfLand drifted north and grounded on the wreck of the SS Republic which had been torpedoed several months prior. After several days she freed herself from the Republic and drifted aground near Hobe Sound. She burned for 53 days off Hobe Sound. 37 men from the GulfLand perished in the incident. What remains of the GulfLand is about 150 feet of bow section which broke apart during the salvage operation.

Below are a handful of pictures I discovered during my research. Hopefully some other local divers can add color to my observations and research!

IMG-6772.jpg

IMG-6780.jpg
IMG-6781.jpg

IMG-6773.jpg
IMG-6771.JPG

Sources:
  • The United States Navy Memorial
  • Deadliest American Disasters and Large Loss of Life Events (website)
  • Florida Memory (website)

Very cool. Are these accessible as shore dives?

Very cool. Are these accessible as shore dives?
I thought the same. I’m sure it’s been done but there are some challenges. First, the nearest public beach entry with parking is Blowing Rocks which is about 2.5 miles south. It looks like there are several dune cross overs near where the beach entry point would be but it’s unknown what is private vs public land. Plus there’s no where to park. You’d have to scout it first.

Second, it would be tough to find the wreck. Not impossible because there are landmarks on the beach to line you up, but still a challenge. There’s no reef line to intersect and follow. It’s all sandy bottom.

My thought would be to make it a kayak dive. Bring your phone and punch in the coords and paddle out to it. Hook the kayak off to the wreck. Could potentially do this from blowing rocks depending on wind and current. On a nice day it seems doable, but logistically it’s not a shore dive the same way LDBTS is.

I thought the same. I’m sure it’s been done but there are some challenges. First, the nearest public beach entry with parking is Blowing Rocks which is about 2.5 miles south. It looks like there are several dune cross overs near where the beach entry point would be but it’s unknown what is private vs public land. Plus there’s no where to park. You’d have to scout it first.

Second, it would be tough to find the wreck. Not impossible because there are landmarks on the beach to line you up, but still a challenge. There’s no reef line to intersect and follow. It’s all sandy bottom.

My thought would be to make it a kayak dive. Bring your phone and punch in the coords and paddle out to it. Hook the kayak off to the wreck. Could potentially do this from blowing rocks depending on wind and current. On a nice day it seems doable, but logistically it’s not a shore dive the same way LDBTS is.
Ok now there is going to have to be a Yak expedition of scubaboarders to this wreck sometime. only problem is catching the right conditions lol

Gregory Norman Wreck
Probably been 10 yrs since I've been on that site. It was pretty battered from the hurricanes but glad you got to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom