500 psi on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe even bring it on the first dive and shrug off the 'you wuss' looks I'm sure to get.
Remember, you don't need to wear it on your mask to have it with you. If you have pockets (BC or otherwise), you can stuff it there, or you can clip it, bungee it, or in some other way attach it out of the way. If you ever need it, it's there, but it won't drive you up the wall otherwise.

So what happens if said "nonswimmer's" buddy has problems on the surface. How the hell is the non-swimmer going to help the poor guy out if they can't even get themselves into a boat w/ 500psi in reserve? How can your tow someone, or help someone to the surface and keep them there? Or help an injured dive buddy back on the boat? If you can't do this you have no business being on a dive boat OR in dive gear. Otherwise you are putting yourself, the poor schmuck that buddies up w/ you, and any of the eminant participants of your resulting rescue at unneeded risk. Forget about scuba- if you can't swim, STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!!

Can't swim, stay out of the water? Probably is a good idea.

My whole point of this 500 psi thing is, a dive ends when we surfaces. But for the non-swimming CERTIFIED scuba diver (OW and likely even AOW).... The dive really doesn't end until he gets back on the boat safely.

I'll rather have a nonswimmer scuba on the surface, than one trying to impress his buddies by staying down to match their dive time, and surfacing with insufficient air, and WITH OUT a snorkel.

My whole point of this 500 psi thing is, a dive ends when we surfaces. But for the non-swimming CERTIFIED scuba diver (OW and likely even AOW).... The dive really doesn't end until he gets back on the boat safely.

It doesn't matter what level of diver you are, the dive isn't over until you are on the boat. A large percentage of scuba related drownings begin with an episode on the surface. Being a non-swimmer or a swimmer has nothing to do w/ it.

I'll rather have a nonswimmer scuba on the surface, than one trying to impress his buddies by staying down to match their dive time, and surfacing with insufficient air, and WITH OUT a snorkel.

I'd rather not dive with either one of them. And I wouldn't consider these two groups to be mutually exclusive. Both seem to lack a bit of common sense.

I cannot fathom how anyone who cannot swim, thinks they will be a successful (long term) diver. I can't imagine a non-swimming diver, diving off the California coast. It would be a death wish.

I like having a snorkle...

I also have a backfloat BC, that means it likes to keep me face down in swimming position.
Sure I can back swim too but its easier with me under the air bladder face down.

Pre dive, look around face down for interesting things to explore on the dive, while waiting for dive buddies to get situated and in the water.

I like to relax face down watching sealife waiting for everyone to get back on the boat at the end of a dive too, so relaxing.

Lets not forget water magnifies... Water also takes the gravity off a womans body... Bikinis and skin tight outfits... Hell Ya! Hey I'm a red blooded man, you put it out there... I'm going to appreciate it. You don't get to enjoy the view if your heads out of the water.

Life is so much nicer while your face is in the water. Why would you want to lift your head to breath... :)

Besides, if the wind is blowing you cannot be blown away from the boat as easly if your in the water with just the back of your head and snorkle exposed. Sitting up to breath or float means your catching more wind like a mast and sail. If the wind is blowing too hard you NEED to dive under the water to make headway...

Same is true with the currents to a certain extent. The more in the water you are the more stroke/power/effect you can get out of your kicks. The more headway you can make.

If your at the surface, wearing split fins, trying to rapidly flutter kick to the boat in a moderate current... Just sit back and start blowing up your rescue sausage!

Happy Diving.

I cannot fathom how anyone who cannot swim, thinks they will be a successful (long term) diver. I can't imagine a non-swimming diver, diving off the California coast. It would be a death wish.

Kinda like trying to teach someone to put in a hot lap around Laguna Seca before they know how to ride a bicycle :wink:

I have a new student tonite who will be doing her first pool session. Since it's a YMCA class it will be all swimming/snorkeling skills. If she or any student cannot swim the 200 yds and tread 10 minutes they don't get to go any further. We usually have em do 300 and 15 since this is required for certification. If they get it out of the way the first night it makes things easier. BTW one of the snorkel skills we do first is throw their mask and snorkel out in front of them a ways and they must swim, dive down and retrieve it, put them on and have mask clear and snorkel breathable upon surfacing. Only time I wear snorkel is in pool when required. Otherwise it's in my pocket.

Who said anything about free diving?

That's how I interpret your post: 'it's okay for a diver who's after a lobster during a SI to use a snorkel'.

Perhaps I misread.

That's how I interpret your post: 'it's okay for a diver who's after a lobster during a SI to use a snorkel'.

Perhaps I misread.

I meant after a lobster WHILE diving or just snorkelling during the SI (looking at seals or whatever).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom