500 psi on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
Then you ask, why 500 psi? My reason is: 1. It keeps salt water from getting into the reg and tank, especially if you dive with atomics.

15 PSI will accomplish this.

500psi is picked purely as its a round easy to remember figure.

In the entire metric world we use 50 bar (which is 735psi) for same reason.

Ive seen people so drilled in by the "50 bar back on the boat" they blow off safety stops just to get there with that margin which defeats the whole point of a safe reserve.

Training and wording needs to be changed. 50 bar is fine for more no stop dives as a margin but it has to be made clear that its there to be used if needed if things go slightly wrong but also not to use it if things go right.

..and this is no argument for using a snorkel. Its an argument for proper air management and also for inflating your BC and swimming on your back.

What do you need a snorkle for??

We call em' sealion treats...:D

I'll bet you there are more than one certified diver who can't even do a doggy paddle or back float for 200 yards. These folks would be terrified without a reg or snorkel in their mouth.

We call em' sealion treats...:D

Rigid J-shape snorkels are OK for getting lobsters out of holes. The more flexible ones are useless.
Having said that, a bent coat hanger is better so there is no need to carry a snorkel...or a "PADI TUBE" as we all them here.

I'll bet you there are more than one certified diver who can't even do a doggy paddle or back float for 200 yards. These folks would be terrified without a reg or snorkel in their mouth.

And these folks should not be diving in the first place.

Tell that to PADI and SSI instructors who allow the 300 yard snorkel/fin.

I dont write agency standards so am not allowed to.

However anywhere in europe its not legal to do the snorkel option - it HAS to be the swim to comply with regulations.

Oh God, it's turning into another "real divers don't use snorkels thread"

I know of at least one instructor who wont let a student continue the course without being able to swim the the yards without a snorkel or tread water confidently.
Also that 500 psi has come in handy a couple of times...the guideline is all good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom