500 psi on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never dove with sealions. Do they harass you more when you dive with snorkels?

Oh God, it's turning into another "real divers don't use snorkels thread"

I disagree. Its perfectly acceptable for a real diver to use a snorkel.......
..... if they're after a lobster or fancy a snorkel during their surface interval.

If you can't swim, what the h--- is anyone doing diving? Darwin is just sitting out there....waiting......

Butt, but, butt... Diving is safer than bowling. Diving is safer than being a passenger in a car.

These are words out of the mouth of the agencies that is telling you you can dive if you can snorkel 300 yards, right??:rofl3:

I'll bet you there are more than one certified diver who can't even do a doggy paddle or back float for 200 yards. These folks would be terrified without a reg or snorkel in their mouth.
I would consider that a completely separate problem. I don't base the my "guidelines" on people who have one leg, even though I know of certified divers who have only one leg.

A "diver" who cannot float or tread water basically has a disability and, in my personal opinion, *should not* be certified as a full-fledged diver. While it may be possible to craft a special plan that he and those who dive with him can follow in order to minimize risk while accounting for his disability, that plan should not be taken to be the general case for non-disabled divers.

The wonderful thing, however, is that unlike my diving friends who have one physical limitation or another, the disability of not being able to swim can be rectified with nothing more than practice, patience, and a desire to improve. That being the case, I see absolutely no reason to base general guidelines for divers on those who have not yet learned what is necessary to be full-fledged divers.

(Before any non-swimming card-holders become upset at me, let me say that I *commend* you on your initiative toward becoming a diver and enjoying the wonderfully wet water world. I certainly mean no disrespect to you. On the contrary, I consider you rather more brave than I needed to be. At the same time, I know what the unforgiving seas have hit *me* with, and I could not in good conscience say that a non-swimmer is capable of handling what may well come up. For your own enjoyment, for your health, and for the well-being of yourself and those who your life may touch, learn to swim.)

And these folks should not be diving in the first place.

Or at the very least, not diving in the Ocean.

I really can't imagine wanting to go under the water without being comfortable on top of the water first. Are these same people jumping on water skis or surfboards?

What would they do in the case of a BC failure?

As far as this topic goes: The 500psi recommended reserve has absolutely nothing to do with surface swimming. While it may be helpful in those areas, it's recommended in case of issues under the water, and as a minimum basis for gas management (half out, half back, 500 reserve).

I talked to an older man who could hardly do the water treading without nearly having a heart attack (he complains that he was dizzy after getting out), and could not finish the 300 yrd snorkel until a week later. I advised him to not go diving if the waves are rough... and he looked at me with puzzlement.

I think too many poor swimmers are oblivious to the challenge of diving in the ocean. With proper precaution, and paying attention to safety, I think these divers can do fine. That's why I would suggest 1000psi or 1/3 of a tank on the surface for these folks.

I talked to an older man who could hardly do the water treading without nearly having a heart attack (he complains that he was dizzy after getting out), and could not finish the 300 yrd snorkel until a week later. I advised him to not go diving if the waves are rough... and he looked at me with puzzlement.

Not to dive at all would be a more sensible option. Or at least not to dive at all until a diving doctor has certified him as safe.

Waves can appear within minutes, currents can appear underwater. Just because you get in and its calm doesn't mean it'll be calm when you surface (unless you use a quarry).

So covering up a deficiency like that is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom