Question 40cu ft tank side mount regulator hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’ve got a 40 cu ft pony bottle for use as a redundant air supply (wearing it left side mount) and would like to route the hose from the left and around my neck when used.

In my left side mount position, what are the typical hose lengths used for 40 cu ft pony bottle kit? 32” or 40”?

If the diver uses a 70 degree angled 2nd stage hose adapter, what affect does that have on the deired hose lengths used.

The one i use, is 28” but I set it up like
A stage bottle where I have the hose tucked into a flexible band hose keeper and then the regulator in a regulator holder.

Is you cyclinder slung from the right side, or do you mount it to you primary cylinder?

Is you cyclinder slung from the right side, or do you mount it to you primary cylinder?
The OP clearly states, "(wearing it left side mount)" and asks, "In my left side mount position, what are the typical hose lengths used for 40 cu ft pony bottle kit?" So why would you ask the OP this question?

The OP clearly states, "(wearing it left side mount)" and asks, "In my left side mount position, what are the typical hose lengths used for 40 cu ft pony bottle kit?" So why would you ask the OP this question?
Trying to get my post count up.

We’re you going to respond to the OP or just me?

I would suggest you use the standard 40" length for stage bottles. This is well proven to be the right length for routing up and around the neck from the left side and is easy to find (in any color you want) and usually at a good price, compared to the custom 32" length that may be a bit short (and only comes in black from most places). For the AL40 or AL80, 40" is the standard and "right" length that most divers use. If you had a AL30, I would say you might consider the shorter 32" hose only because the tank is shorter and a 40" hose banded to the side of the tanks will come right to the bottom of the tank and maybe a little past depending on where you place the second stage up by the valve end.

As for the angled connector, it does not really impact the length of hose needed significantly. I find these useful for SM regs that are regularly in my mouth (for streamlining and comfort), but less than optimal when stowed on the side of the tank most of the time (as in stage or deco bottles, or as a "pony").

I would suggest you use the standard 40" length for stage bottles.

the OP clearly states looking for (“redundant air supply”) why would you give him advice on stage bottles?

the OP clearly states looking for (“redundant air supply”) why would you give him advice on stage bottles?
Yeah seems like usual out of context response unfortunately.

The standard left hand bottle in a true sidemount config is 24" to 30," with 30" being a bit of an outlier.

Um...
1) because a stage bottle is one type of redundant air supply that
a) is rigged with the type of regulator setup and hose length the OP is asking about
and
b) is worn in similar style to the way the OP wears his and about which he is inquiring regarding hose length and elbow connectors
and
2) because I only mentioned stage bottle in the context of:
a) something that has a generally accepted standard length hose
and
b) an example of one of three redundant air supplies that may not benefit in some ways from the addition of an elbow fitting at the 2nd stage end.

I’ve got a 40 cu ft pony bottle for use as a redundant air supply (wearing it left side mount) and would like to route the hose from the left and around my neck when used.

In my left side mount position, what are the typical hose lengths used for 40 cu ft pony bottle kit? 32” or 40”?

If the diver uses a 70 degree angled 2nd stage hose adapter, what affect does that have on the deired hose lengths used.
My own setup when diving sidemount with a pony is AL 80 left, AL 19 right. The right-side is redundant-only; and I don't breathe it except as practice or to verify it's working.

On my pony-side, my regulators have a 7ft hose, mostly tucked under bungies. Because the hose is tucked under bungies, there's almost no down-side to the long-hose. It's effectively a flexible hose-length, or about 32 inches when tucked., but pulling on the hose easily converts it from something like 40-inches to 7ft of usable length. The hose has never come unexpectedly untucked from bungies.

Do you need 7ft? No, not really. The original idea though was if I ever was in an air-share scenario (which I mostly dive solo), the standard "rule" is that they grab the reg on the brightly-colored hose, and that's theirs. If necessary, I can even remove the cylinder entirely and hand it off. My left-side would still be attached to my inflator-hose, and have my larger air-supply.

I use the same regulators when diving normal sidemount (2x AL80, or 2x HP 100s)

The reason I suggest you consider 7ft, is because it sounds like you want to play around with hose-routing. By doing this, you effectively have a flexible hose length, and can try everything from 5-inches to 7ft. The 70 or 90-degree adapter is irrelevant to hose-length, as it's basically adjustable. I have a 90-degree adapter on mine.

Attachments

• 20220624_070721 (1).jpg
    20220624_070721 (1).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 86
The primary difference between stage-bottles and a slung redundant air-supply is the intended use. You could optimize your setup a little for either use, but otherwise, they're both almost identical most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom