Upgrading Left side slung bottle regulator advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there are various threads on this topic and I have read several of them but am not clear how I should proceed.

I have been diving for a year with an XS scuba "Alt Air" 2nd stage with a DIN 1st stage with button gauge on a 19 cu ft left sided slung pony

My primary is an Aqualung Core from July 2020 which I am very happy with.

I am not happy with the XS scuba 2nd stage, it breaths hard and somewhat wet. I would like a quality regulator on it so it breaths like my Aqualung Core.

I am not a long hose person. No intention of proceeding into Tech.

Am I correct that if I get another Aqualung Core that it is not reversible and is designed for a short hose that comes from the diver's right? With a 40 inch hose is it my understanding that some people just deploy this orientation regulator on a left side slung bottle and bring it around the back of the neck to use?

I see a lot of people saying that the regulators should be the same, which makes sense to me. Not sure that is possible and may have to buy a different 2nd stage that is appropriate for a left side slung bottle. If that is my situation what do you recommend?

I’d say probably most people don’t bother reversing the hose to come off the right side of the reg for a pony/deco reg. Yep, just around your neck with 40” hose.

If you don’t want to get another Core, something like a Dive Rite or Hog are pretty bullet proof. Maybe cheaper than the AL, too.
Dive Rite breathes very well. I can hardly tell the difference with my Apeks.

Marie13, do you mind specifying the DiveRite regulator you are using?

Marie13, I see with that Dive Rite XT Regulator there is a choice of "Regulator Configuration" of Left or Right Side. So Left side might work well with a left sided bottle.

The other 2 considerations I have is
1. If I am buying a similar quality 2nd stage, lets say DiveRite XT or another Aqualung Core, Does it make more sense to make the new Regulator my primary and put my AL core on the Pony (which would get almost no use except practicing with it)?

2. Do people have qualms about using the first stage and button gauge and 40 inch hose I already have and putting a different 2nd stage on it? Or would it be more advisable to get a new 1st stage? If so is the button gauge transferable to one of the ports on the new 1st stage?

You’re over thinking this.

Left hand reg. Use the 40” hose you have. I dislike button gauges as they’re so damned small. But you can use it on new pony reg. Keep Core as primary.

FWIW, I'm going to be moving my (left sidemountish slung) pony regs from a HOG D1 1st to a HOG D2 first, but staying with a HOG Classic 2nd on a 40" hose. This is purely for the admittedly small reduction in weight and size for travel.

My HOGs (D1s & D3s, Classics & Zeniths) have been great as singles, doubles and pony regs.

A D1x or D2 1st with a Classic 2nd should run you around $300 (or a bit less if you catch a sale period) including hose.

Deep Six Excursions, which are pretty much the same as the D2s, are currently a little less.

And while I agree with @Marie13 that button gages are too small and not appropriate for use as the primary guage on your main gas, I use one on my pony reg, and one as my backup to my AI on my main tank(s). They work well for me in those circumstances.

You should be able to put whatever second stage you like on that first stage. It doesn't have to match brands as long as the second stage doesn't require a weird intermediate pressure (like a Poseidon Cyclone). Keeping first and second the same brand just makes it easier to find a shop for servicing. (If you have 2 different brands the shop has to be able to service both brands)

My second has a right sided connection to a 36 in hose. It stays rubber banded to the pony when not in use. If I need to use it, I just keep the hose in front of me for the trip to the surface, not behind my neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom