Question 40cu ft tank side mount regulator hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The primary difference between stage-bottles and a slung redundant air-supply is the intended use. You could optimize your setup a little for either use, but otherwise, they're both almost identical most of the time.
Agreed, and depending on the dive, may or may not be diving with a stage the entire time.

Is this strictly for solo use? Or will it be used in a team situation?

I (this is what I would do, you can do as you like) do enough diving with others that I would have it rigged for team use and just dive the same solo. But if this is solo only that won't apply

Is this strictly for solo use? Or will it be used in a team situation?

I (this is what I would do, you can do as you like) do enough diving with others that I would have it rigged for team use and just dive the same solo. But if this is solo only that won't apply
Agreed.

As a personal/subjective thing, I dive 95%+ solo, although I like having my gear already configured for any type of diving I'm likely to do, assuming minimal inconvenience.

For example the few times I do have a dive-buddy, it's always a last-second thing when I'm about ready to jump in the water or already in the water and someone asks. In the unlikely event that I even remember I have a short-hose, there's almost no chance I'm going to say "hold up while a swap a hose." The tucked-long-hose I find to be no inconvenience. Although if I routed a long-hose normally, I do find that inconvenient.

My own setup when diving sidemount with a pony is AL 80 left, AL 19 right. The right-side is redundant-only; and I don't breathe it except as practice or to verify it's working.

On my pony-side, my regulators have a 7ft hose, mostly tucked under bungies. Because the hose is tucked under bungies, there's almost no down-side to the long-hose. It's effectively a flexible hose-length, or about 32 inches when tucked., but pulling on the hose easily converts it from something like 40-inches to 7ft of usable length. The hose has never come unexpectedly untucked from bungies.

Do you need 7ft? No, not really. The original idea though was if I ever was in an air-share scenario (which I mostly dive solo), the standard "rule" is that they grab the reg on the brightly-colored hose, and that's theirs. If necessary, I can even remove the cylinder entirely and hand it off. My left-side would still be attached to my inflator-hose, and have my larger air-supply.

I use the same regulators when diving normal sidemount (2x AL80, or 2x HP 100s)

The reason I suggest you consider 7ft, is because it sounds like you want to play around with hose-routing. By doing this, you effectively have a flexible hose length, and can try everything from 5-inches to 7ft. The 70 or 90-degree adapter is irrelevant to hose-length, as it's basically adjustable. I have a 90-degree adapter on mine.
Way too much going on in this pic. Is the second stage clipped to the upper stage kit clip? I can see this presenting issues if trying to deploy in an emergency.

Way too much going on in this pic. Is the second stage clipped to the upper stage kit clip? I can see this presenting issues if trying to deploy in an emergency.
I was only talking about the long-hose, and it's a somewhat old photo which served that purpose.

But since you commented:

(1) During the dive, the regulator is clipped to my chest-d-ring, not where it's shown in the photo. I only clip it onto the tank-rigging during transport.
(2) The clip is "breakaway." Those colorful things are magnets.

My current setup uses a slightly different breakaway clip than shown, and I can take a picture of that later. I was using one of those hose-magnet retainers, but found it came apart too easy. So now it's both that magnet, and some thin zip-ties. That way I can easily break the zip-ties, but then re-stow it after. (We might be drifting off topic though)

I was only talking about the long-hose, and it's a somewhat old photo which served that purpose.

But since you commented:

(1) During the dive, the regulator is clipped to my chest-d-ring, not where it's shown in the photo. I only clip it onto the tank-rigging during transport.
(2) The clip is "breakaway." Those colorful things are magnets.

My current setup uses a slightly different breakaway clip than shown, and I can take a picture of that later. I was using one of those hose-magnet retainers, but found it came apart too easy. So now it's both that magnet, and some thin zip-ties. That way I can easily break the zip-ties, but then re-stow it after. (We might be drifting off topic though)
Okay, with breakaways it makes more sense.

anything longer than 26 inch will involve half tucking the hose if you intend to wrap it behind your neck. i would instead run it as a short hose on a necklace and run a longer hose on your primary or run a 36 to 40 inch hose that is stowed and deployed as necessary. angle adapter allows for a tighter loop with a slightly shorter hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom