3mil or 5 mil in Jan. for a Florida girl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really think you should simply wear what you wear here when the temps are in 70's.

So far recommendations range from rash guards to 8 mils. :idk:

We are all different.

Washington people don't get cold like those from the hurricane state.

And genetically I'm Scandinavian, and I was born in Alaska.

Seriously, though, I was just about cooking myself in a 5mm, I know there's individual variations, but I don't understand how anyone can wear those down there...

I'm afraid I'm going to become infamous for the 8mm suggestion. At least I didn't say drysuit! :rofl3:

Actually I do know woman who wears a drysuit in the mid seventies.

We returned about a week ago. The water was 77F and I froze my a$$ off every single dive - hypothermia shivering and all (especially on the boat after each dive) - in my 3/2/2 fullsuit with a 3mm core warmer. Not coming back to Cozumel in the winter without a 5mm suit with matching 5mm boots and would seriously consider wearing a hood.

So how long is your flight from Fairbanks...??

That's good. I live in Oklahoma.

My point was that the water isn't that cold. Full disclosure: We stayed at the Iberostar so we had short boat rides. I actually got a light sunburn while there.

Last week everyone used 3ml longs except me and my bud, I had a shorty and he had his board shorts! We were grrrrrreattt!!!!

I'm from Florida (Miami) also, but live in NC now. My Florida blood still runs through me and I’m always wearing more than everyone else. While everyone else is at 5mm, I’m wearing 7mm or dry suit....while everyone else is diving in 3mm, I’m in a 5mm. So if you're blood is as much Floridian as mine, wear a 5mm.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about Cozumel! I ended up buying the 5mil and am not regretting it. (We are in Cozumel as I write this.) I have been comfortable on every dive so far temp.-wise. The extra lead does take some getting used to, but I'm not whining. So far the coldest I've been is on the boat. First day forgot towels AND sweats, today better with sweatshirt, tomorrow it's the sweats plus the jacket.Haven't put the beanie on yet because I hate that darn bubble that forms in the top even tho I cut a few holes in it. Water temp around 78-80, each dive about 60 min. My husb. has been cold with his 3mil. Weather has been gorgeous, around 80 but windy. Reefs are beautiful.

I hate that darn bubble that forms in the top even tho I cut a few holes in it.
:hmmm: Odd. I used a screwdriver heated on a kitchen stove to poke 3 holes and have no problem with air getting caught. Wonder if your holes are in right place? Adding a beanie is like adding 1 to 2 mil more suit but without the lead.

I did a snorkel class for my daughter's family tonight as they'll be snorkeling there one day this month. I did remind them to take jackets. Hope they remember, but you only forget once huh?

Back
Top Bottom