3mil or 5 mil in Jan. for a Florida girl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and a beanie works for me. When I added the beanie I was noticeably warmer, plus it keeps the hair out of my eyes.
:thumb: Forgot to mention the beanie. Easy add-on that makes a world of difference. Chills are never fun.

I just returned from Cozumel. We did 3 dives per day for 3 days. I wore my swim trunks and my under armour. My wife wore her 3m. The water in the ocean is fine. The only time I was cold was at the surface and on the boat for about 5 minutes will I was soaking wet.

I just returned from Cozumel. We did 3 dives per day for 3 days. I wore my swim trunks and my under armour. My wife wore her 3m. The water in the ocean is fine. The only time I was cold was at the surface and on the boat for about 5 minutes will I was soaking wet.
So how long is your flight from Fairbanks...??

So if I understand the recommendations, you should either wear nothing or an 8MM:confused: Gota love a public board for opinions that matter.:D Just checked the water temp via google and it said 80° so dive whatever you would dive in that temp water.

I wear a 3mm plus a 3mm vest and a beanie. For me, the key to staying warm in Cozumel in the winter months is to completley remove my wetsuit after the 1st dive and then have a fleece lined dive parka to put on between dives. I always bring a 2nd wetsuit for my 2nd dive. I know its alot of stuff to cart to the boat but I do not want to be cold. I am going in March for Carnival and am considering a 5mm for my 2nd dive.

I wear a 3mm plus a 3mm vest and a beanie. For me, the key to staying warm in Cozumel in the winter months is to completley remove my wetsuit after the 1st dive and then have a fleece lined dive parka to put on between dives. I always bring a 2nd wetsuit for my 2nd dive. I know its alot of stuff to cart to the boat but I do not want to be cold. I am going in March for Carnival and am considering a 5mm for my 2nd dive.
Put on the 5 for both and leave your weights alone. Maybe peel it down to your waist between dives.

Put on the 5 for both and leave your weights alone. Maybe peel it down to your waist between dives.

I swear that the dry wetsuit works keeping me warmer on the 2nd dive!! Even in August, I take a 2nd wetsuit for a 2 tank dive. Its not a big issue for me to carry a bit more stuff and even less of a problem to adjust my weight if needed or the 2nd dive if it keeps me warmer. Its all about comfort!

The water is currently 78 degrees on my computer. I have a 3 mm and 5/3 hooded vest which is fine for the first 45 minutes into the dive. Yesterday it was sunny but cool and windy so unless you have a jacket or your operator provides jackets, it can be very cold as soon as you get on the boat. Bring the 5 mm and a hooded vest if you have one. Better to be too warm than too cold! The good news is the eagle rays are back, go north and you will see them. I few days ago we saw between 15 to 17 in formation and the next day, another group saw similar numbers and two sail fish!

I have a waterproof jacket with a hood that tucks into a zipper pocket that I wear to the airport on winter dive trips, strap to my roll-on, then wear on boats between dives. A real life saver. I took it to Roatan last February in case of the rare possibility of being stuck in a Houston winter storm and closed airport, but ended up wearing it one day on Roatan.

Got it loaned to my daughter for her January cruise to Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom