3mil or 5 mil in Jan. for a Florida girl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rosebud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having only been to Cozumel diving as cruise ship day trippers, and now going to be there for a week beginning Jan 1st, I could use a little help from those who have been there in winter before. Got a brand new sweet 5mil wetsuit for Christmas and am wondering if I would be better off with it or my 3 mil. I admit to being a Florida girl with thin blood and a different interpretation of cold compared to those living more northerly. (We're "freezing" when the air temp doesn't make it to 60 down here.)We are staying at Scuba Club Cozumel. For those who have stayed at SCC before, is there a particular room that we should request (better view, closer to dock, etc.)? One last question:Does SCC provide towels for on the boat or shore, and do they have hairdryers? Thanks for any input you can give as I finish up my packing!

Hi, rosebud;

I am always cold, and I find the 75-77F water of Coz chilly. I wear my 7mm, with a 3/5 hooded vest, and I am still chilled at the end of the second dive.

I also prefer the heat set at 76F, and wear a sweater or jacket in the office when the AC is at 73/74*

I wear a 1 in Aug, but a 3 in wintertime there - and I'm a stout bodied fellow. I cannot imagine any lady being comfortable in a 3 in January there. Maybe - we're all different. I'd take an after dive jacket too, with a hood.

I use a 3mm this time of year. However, you may want to opt for a 5mm. When you make your reservation, just ask Sophia for a room with an ocean view. There are several of them. And no SCC doesn't provide towels on the boats. There plenty of towels in the rooms though you could always take one with you. And no to the hair dryer.

Hope this helps.

I tend to get cold too - especially on the 2nd dive in Coz in the winter. I have found my 3mm suit, plus a vest and a beanie works for me. When I added the beanie I was noticeably warmer, plus it keeps the hair out of my eyes. The other thing I never forget is a windbreaker/jacket for the ride back. A dry bag will protect it and your towel and the clothes you got on the boat with.

Take the 5mm.

My daughters always wear a 5 and still complain

I hate to be cold. I am here right now and I am wearing a 5 mm with a 3 mm hooded vest under it. I was freezing before I added the vest a couple of weeks ago. My dives are never less than one hour in length.

Is a great resort. The rooms are comfy. This time of year, I would bring 5mm, with hood. Based on your air, dives would approach 50-60+, thus you would get cold at the end. Dive and be safe.

When you get back, lets dive Jupiter in February. Last year, my dive Bud and I saw five sharks on one both dives in Feb out of Jupiter. Lemons and nurses should be running. :cool2:

...ive never been too warm.....
i have on numerous occasions been "too cold"!!!!!!!!!!
take the five and crack the zip if ya gotta
worth the lead to be comfortable-especially on vacation!!!!
have fun
Yaeg

I was at SCC last December and wore a 3/2 and a beanie. In between dives I wore my Surf Fur and was pretty cold after the second dive. This year I'll take the 3/2, the 8/6, and hood. I was thinking about buying a 5, but after reading the posts where some are wearing a 5 and a vest, I think the 8/6 will be okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom