3mil or 5 mil in Jan. for a Florida girl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*deleted*

Last edited:
We dive Coz every February. I wear my BARE 5mm full and take along a 3mm hood in case I get a chill. I'm 6 ft and 175 #, not much blubber to keep me warm. Wife wears a 3mm full but takes a 3mm hood and 2mm vest just in case. No blubber on her at all.

It's always better to err on the soide of being warmer if you are like me. The extra weight is the only negative.
As others have said, keeping warm on the boat between dives and back to port is not to be overlooked. This is when you can get really cold.
Have fun and take a beanie or a hood.

We dive Coz every February. I wear my BARE 5mm full and take along a 3mm hood in case I get a chill. I'm 6 ft and 175 #, not much blubber to keep me warm. Wife wears a 3mm full but takes a 3mm hood and 2mm vest just in case. No blubber on her at all.
Which well illustrates why there is no real answer to the question as everyone is different. I would think that your wife would chill more easily as women often do along with their commonly low SAC rate, but who knows. :idk:
It's always better to err on the soide of being warmer if you are like me. The extra weight is the only negative.
As others have said, keeping warm on the boat between dives and back to port is not to be overlooked. This is when you can get really cold.
Have fun and take a beanie or a hood.
Yeah, that pretty well sums it up really, including the beanie and coat. More is better than less in wetsuits with the extra lead being the downside. I've worn a 7 when I know a 5 would have worked, but I've also shivered and wished I had my 5 or 7 but didn't - plus the extra DCS risk from getting chilled while off gassing.

Hi Rosebud,

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my "Ask RSD" column in Rodale's Scuba Diving:

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts and T-shirts to full coats with hats and scarves, all apparently in comfort?

Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age and tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "take a dry suit."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, SCUBA temps in Coz in Jan typically run around 78 +/- a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives a day over the course of a week at those temps I'd take a 5mm full. Also a neoprene beanie or hood. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up. But, then, I'm a warm water wuss.

SCC does not provide towels on the boat or immediately on shore (take them from the room), but the rooms do have hair dryers. Ask for one of the larger units.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

i dove a 5mm with no hood/gloves in the reefs off akumal in Dec and nearly died of heat stroke.

I have become a strictly warm water diver and have not used more then a 3 mil in quite a while from the Caribbean to North Carolina (summer). I did get chilly doing multiple cenote dives a couple of years ago. I am going to Cozumel next month and will be doing three or four dives a day plus I may take the ferry over one day to do a couple of cenotes. With this in mind I ordered a Bare 5/4 Velocity to use. It just came about 20 minutes ago and I tried it on. The thickness will take some getting used to but I am sure I will be glad to have it in the caverns.
As Doc says I may have to open it up a bit on the first dives.

3mm with a hooded 5mm/3mm vest if it's Pinnacle. If not, seriously consider a 5mm. If you're slender and extremely cold natured go 7mm.

i dove a 5mm with no hood/gloves in the reefs off akumal in Dec and nearly died of heat stroke.
Washington people don't get cold like those from the hurricane state.

That Splains it Lucy, I got me a 3mm Blubber suit under my 3mm Rubber suit so I am diving 6mm, I have been down to 72°@60min with my 3mm oddly I am also from a hurricane state, well if you consider Texas a hurricane state. Just no accounting for it, I guess if you have no brain then you just do not get cold, at least that is my excuse.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom