3 burst discs in a row!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not in Europe, but I've read the same and heard it from several sources. It often comes up in the double burst disk arguments.

"Great scene at fifthd. Guy walks in, and based on his self important attitude and atire, is obviously a new diver/clown. ZZZZZ had told him the tank fill would be done by the next day since he was working on mixing gases for other people, yet he come back a day early? Upon hearing this "news" he says, self important ***-hole like, "Tell you what. Wait until it cools down to fill it. I need a nice cold fill, got a big dive tomorrow!" It was an aluminum 80....a single tank. Anyone have "big dives" that need a "nice cold fill" on a single alu80?"

I have several valves that have no provision for burst discs. In the 70s when we were cave diving dual 72s we over filled them--cave fill--and we often installed triple discs or stainless plugs to disable the burst discs.

The quote is why I try not to deal with an LDS. I am slowly working toward getting my own compressor.

Why cannot the shop fill the tank on the spot--walk in-why does it take several days to fill a tank? And, why is it diffucult to get a 3,000 psi fill? I worked in a shop way back and I did not have a problem filling people's tanks to 3,000 psi. I rent tanks all the time now with only 2,500 in them. Where did the 500 psi I paid for go?--Is that a self important question?

What is wrong with an aluminum 80, I have dived "big" dives with aluminum 80s. Why not just give the fellow a solid fill on the spot? Why all of a sudden do we need an appointment to get a good fill regardless of what kindof tank it is?

Your burst disc problem is not valve related if you have the screw in assembly. This is a self contained assembly. Are you sure they were the correct rating?

Yes, I have had burst disc fail and I have seen another---in the water--it is very rare--dive enough and you may see some also.

The burst disc is some sort of DOT thing--since I am a free person and don't work for the guberment--I feel completely free when I want to plug the burst disc (nothing that cannot be undone) and I also remove the tags from my matresses. If this causes a code orange kool-aid alert--oh well.

N

Nemrod:
I worked in a shop way back and I did not have a problem filling people's tanks to 3,000 psi. I rent tanks all the time now with only 2,500 in them. Where did the 500 psi I paid for go?--Is that a self important question?

For review...

P1*V1/T1 = P2*V2/T2

I have never had to leave tanks more then a few hours unless it was late. I would pink them up the next day. Most Of the time they where don the day I drooped them off. I have lp108's with nitrox fells. In the keys they filed as I waited. I cant Evey think of filling a tank all night.

Nemrod:
...I have several valves that have no provision for burst discs. In the 70s when we were cave diving dual 72s we over filled them--cave fill--and we often installed triple discs or stainless plugs to disable the burst discs.

I'd just like to point out that anyone considering doing this should never do it with AL tanks. That is not a good idea.

I have to sets of doubles Poseidon that do not have burst disc. Actually one set is Drager with a Poseidon valve and manifold. The original hydro on one set is 1957 and 1964 on the other and they have always passed hydro test better than any other tanks I have ever seen.

This are the most comfortable best balanced set of tanks you can dream of. They lay so close to your back you can almost go jogging with them and they wouldn’t bother you. I may need to get my own compressor to fill them since they are not DOT.

Anyway, back to my point:
I have no problem not having a burst disc 99% of the time (and obviously neither most Europeans) since the compressor/ charging system should be equipped with relief valves or other means of reassuring not overfilling.

The 1% (just to give it a number) of the times when a burst disc is imperative, is if the tanks are in a fire. A pressure cylinder in a fire without a burst disc can be lethal or at least very destructive. But with a properly functioning burst disc it is just a ruined tank, no other harm done.

I was told in another thread that there is suppoed to be a nylon washer behind the burst disc? Is this true? Could this have caused the failure? I don't believe there was a nylon washer present.

There is usually a nylon washer if the discs and bolt are separate. If it's one piece, then no nylon bolt. Many yoke valves have the one piece burst disc. I believe the OP's did too.

We had our tnks illed several times at Alabama Blue Water Adventures a couple of weekends ago. Every fill came back at almost exactly 3000 lbs. on the leak check and after entering the water. The longest we waited to get our tanks back was 30 min. They must have their act together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom