3 burst discs in a row!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy:
I have Catalina Al80's and the screw the holds the burst disks in place has the vent holes at 90 degrees to each other. I was told that this was done so that if a disk blows while diving, the explosive force of the venting action won't spin the diver in circles. It makes sense to me. Is it true ?

I've been told this as well, it dispurses the air in a less direct way minimizing
the directional effect of the escaping air. Even so though when they go they
definitely create a disturbance. I would think that as the pressure lowers through
the course of a dive a burst disk problem would be less likely, increasing pressure
however during a fill or sitting in the hot sun is where I would think most failures would occur.

Your pressure equations are good but nonetheless it is entirely possible to fill an aluminumtank to 3,000 psi within a reasonable time frame for a walk-in customer and have him go out the door with a tank that will read 3,000 psi when he hooks up.

Our shop had a water bath that circulated cool water and I filled in stages. I don't really care what they do now or why they dry fill or any of that because it is --well---never mind. All I know and care is that I expect my tanks filled to a resonable level within a reasonable time frame. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom