3 burst discs in a row!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
I'd agree it's probably an issue with the screw. I would replace it as well as inspect the face the burst disc seats on in the valve. You really do not want the burst disc to let go during a dive.

Most screw and disk assemblies sold today are complete integrated units with modern valves. The screw and Disk are one piece. The old days of a sliver of round copper are pretty much gone and disks are now made in every high pressure rating.

Java1800BurstDisc.jpg

TheFoggyMask:
Anyone have "big dives" that need a "nice cold fill" on a single alu80?

YES! The first time I dove Sunrise and Day Island were on AL80's and the were VERY big dives to me.

Calling Customers clowns and people wonder why dive shops have bad reps?

Brian

TheFoggyMask:
Great scene at fifthd. Guy walks in, and based on his self important attitude and atire, is obviously a new diver/clown. .........
....... It was an aluminum 80....a single tank. Anyone have "big dives" that need a "nice cold fill" on a single alu80?

Sounds like a self important guy would blend right in there:shakehead

The fills were 100% air. the discs are integrated into the screw like the picture above, so each time it burst a whole new screw is replaced not just a disc using the old screw, Do you think I should call the place I bought them from and see if they can send me a new valve?

Johnoly:
Most screw and disk assemblies sold today are complete integrated units with modern valves. The screw and Disk are one piece. The old days of a sliver of round copper are pretty much gone and disks are now made in every high pressure rating.

Not true. Both sets of my 2 year old doubles still use the sliver of round copper. These are Thermo valves. In fact, I just bought several replacement discs. The one piece is what I have in my AL bottles.

To the OP, empty the tank and bring it to another shop. I wouldn't trust someone who is replacing disc after disc because it keeps giving. It's one of 2 things - they're not doing a proper inspection or they got a bad batch of discs. Either way, time to go somewhere else.

What I wonder is if they're overfilling it on purpose because he didn't get it from them. I doubt it but gee, 3 in a row.

TheFoggyMask:
Great scene at fifthd. Guy walks in, and based on his self important attitude and atire, is obviously a new diver/clown. Mark had told him the tank fill would be done by the next day since he was working on mixing gases for other people, yet he come back a day early? Upon hearing this "news" he says, self important ***-hole like, "Tell you what. Wait until it cools down to fill it. I need a nice cold fill, got a big dive tomorrow!" It was an aluminum 80....a single tank. Anyone have "big dives" that need a "nice cold fill" on a single alu80?

Maybe you are coming across all wrong and ***-hole like but it sounds like there was more than one self important clown in the shop that day.

Three in a row inplies one of two things: either the rating on the plugs is wrong (should be stamped on it, so unlikely) or they're from a bad batch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom