3 burst discs in a row!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatsfish B:
The fills were 100% air. the discs are integrated into the screw like the picture above, so each time it burst a whole new screw is replaced not just a disc using the old screw, Do you think I should call the place I bought them from and see if they can send me a new valve?

If you cant take them back to the shop you bought them from than I would at least call them and tell them what happened.If you bought them brand new,there should be a warranty on the valves.3 discs in a row to me would be an issue that needs to be explained fully to my satisfaction before using them, or at least replaced.By the way, do you or the lds still have the origianl and bad discs?Someone may want to look at them.

truck1:
If you cant take them back to the shop you bought them from than I would at least call them and tell them what happened.If you bought them brand new,there should be a warranty on the valves.3 discs in a row to me would be an issue that needs to be explained fully to my satisfaction before using them, or at least replaced.By the way, do you or the lds still have the origianl and bad discs?Someone may want to look at them.

The place i bought the tanks from (scubatoys.com) was happy to excahnge the valve. But the guy there says he is almost sure the valve is not the problem. He thinks it was a fluke and they had a bad batch, should I send the valve back?

As far as over filling because I did not buy from them I would say absolutly NO. And the 2nd of 2 tanks was filled with the same amount of air and is fine.

Called Scubatoys and talked to Ben who has been great from the begining, He is sending me a new valve today. If for nothing else, just to feel better about it!

I have Catalina Al80's and the screw the holds the burst disks in place has the vent holes at 90 degrees to each other. I was told that this was done so that if a disk blows while diving, the explosive force of the venting action won't spin the diver in circles. It makes sense to me. Is it true ?

I don't know about you but I prefer nice cold fills in my Al80s. If I want 3,000 and I get 2700 that doesn't make me a happy camper.
Hope your burst disc troubles get sorted out!

Flatsfish B:
The place i bought the tanks from (scubatoys.com) was happy to excahnge the valve. But the guy there says he is almost sure the valve is not the problem. He thinks it was a fluke and they had a bad batch, should I send the valve back?

As far as over filling because I did not buy from them I would say absolutly NO. And the 2nd of 2 tanks was filled with the same amount of air and is fine.

I want to make sure I got this right.
You bought 2 tanks with valves online from out of state and had them filled locally right?
1 tank is fine and the other blew an original disk plus 2 in the lds.Right?
If this is the case, I can not see how you managed to get not 1 but 3 bad disks from the same batch, in what sounds like 2 different states.
I would send the valve back and use a new one and not use the tank until I did.
But that is just me.

DI_Guy:
I have Catalina Al80's and the screw the holds the burst disks in place has the vent holes at 90 degrees to each other. I was told that this was done so that if a disk blows while diving, the explosive force of the venting action won't spin the diver in circles. It makes sense to me. Is it true ?
The idea of venting the discs in multiple directions is to keep the tanks from flying around. Most pops occur while the tank is being filled but tank stability would definitely be an advantage in-water, too.

truck1:
I want to make sure I got this right.
You bought 2 tanks with valves online from out of state and had them filled locally right?
1 tank is fine and the other blew an original disk plus 2 in the lds.Right?
If this is the case, I can not see how you managed to get not 1 but 3 bad disks from the same batch, in what sounds like 2 different states.
I would send the valve back and use a new one and not use the tank until I did.
But that is just me.
right

Flatsfish B:

Send it back.I can not see how you ended up with 3 burst discs in 2 different states.Especially when the other cylinder valve is fine.To me and this is just me, it screams there is an issue with the machining of the disc seat.
I would rather and this is me error on the side of cauton and have them replace it rather than have it fail at 90 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom