2nd Annual Conch Fossiling Expedition guided by Mark Renz! April 1, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Almost Married:
Might also make something, who knows....
Careful what you are saying there buddy. If I recall, wasn't it last year around the campfire your now fiance was interrogated? :D :D :D

Scuba_Jenny:
Careful what you are saying there buddy. If I recall, wasn't it last year around the campfire your now fiance was interrogated? :D :D :D
You may not be surprised to know that topic has come up between us, however you will not be finding any such things accompanying us this time around.... (they dont grow that quickly if you recall your experiences from 9+/- years ago :wink: )

I was talking about making something food-wise and bringing it along with the packaged chips and soda's.

Oh.... now this thread is livening up!!

Its still short on people.... some of the troops from last year showing up.. where's the new blood???

BTW, some from the Gulf Coast Homeschool group will be joining us as well.. one guy (11 y.o. I think) is really into fossiling!

simbrooks:
I was talking about making something food-wise and bringing it along with the packaged chips and soda's.

Seems to me the married kinfolk prefer heapin' helpins of crow. :wink:
'course the story always includes alternate ingredients of bs,
but the end taste seems to be the same.

I'm in for the gratuitous batch o' choc.chip sugar bombs.
Afore mentioned chillens can wash em down with either a cup o' joe
or a shot of cafe cubano.

No chocolate for the puppies. Bad fer em.

Didn't anyone send an invitation to the Australian Women's Volleyball team? :D

Invitation sent. They said it was during spring training though, and they couldn't make it this year. The Swedish Team said they would be unwilling to attend this year due to the post chili cookoff flatulence issues that sent three of them to the hospital.
So sorry. :(

Okay, since my wife is not planning to go, we are going to be camping, but I did some footwork since I promised I would. Apparently there is an airshow the weekend we will be there and accommodations are sparse (and relatively expensive) in Arcadia. Best Western is hosting the pilots and is booked solid, Holiday Inn was willing to work with us on a block of 5 or more rooms, but they are filling fast. If there are at least five rooms, they offer a savings of $30 for Saturday night (see rates below). I will leave it to those who are hotel'ing it to make the reservations, but the girl I talked to was Whitney.
On the bright side, we will get a chance to see some fancy flying while we're there!
:D
------------ HOTEL/MOTELS ------------
HOLIDAY INN
2709 SE HIGHWAY 70, ARCADIA, FL 34266 - 6.50 mi
(863) 494-5900
$109/night if we reserve 5 rooms
$109 Friday night and $139 Saturday night for one room

Best Western Arcadia Inn
504 S Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.70 mi
(863) 494-4884
$159/night but no occupancy

Desoto Motel
1021 N Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.90 mi
(863) 494-2992

Economy Inn
324 S Brevard Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 0.60 mi
(863) 494-2915
no answer on phone (a bad sign?)

------------ RV PARKS ------------
Lettuce Lake Travel Resort
8644 SW Reese St, Arcadia, FL 34269 - 12.40 mi
(863) 494-6057

Tobys RV Resort
3550 NE Highway 70, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 3.10 mi
(863) 494-1744

Little Willies RV Resort
5905 NE Cubitis Ave, Arcadia, FL 34266 - 5.10 mi
(863) 494-2717

CROSS CREEK COUNTY CLUB GOLF & RV RESORT
6837 NE CUBITIS AVE, ARCADIA, FL 34266 - 6.30 mi
(863) 494-7300

We weren't around for last year's event and were just wondering generally what to expect as far as time to show up, equipment to bring, what to expect to rent, etc. We camp regularly so I am good there, just wondering about the planned fossiling activity.

I have an extra pair of size 8 booties if someone needs them in a pinch).
I also have a small 2-3 man tent to loan if someone needs it (just try not to damage it 'cause I loan it out for Cub Scouts also).
Let me know if you need the tent - I won't pack it if no one needs it.

Questions:
- Kristie, Has PRCG said what section of the grounds they are reserving for us?

- Will we be driving to the site to meet Mark Renz or will we need to rent a canoe?
- I am planning to bring wetsuits and booties but am assuming we won't need diving gear will we?

We are really stoked for this event! The kids got a bunch of books on prehistoric FL and I made the mistake of showing them the pics out of Mark Renz's book (now I am managing expectations - they think they are going to find a mammoth teeth and sloth claws just lying there on the bank).

Last year we met Mark at a pre determined spot at a certain time. Then caravaned to the site, and jumped in the water with shovels and screens. A wetsuit and booties are a must have. Also sunscreen.
As far as camping, most folks show up Friday night and we break camp Sunday morning sometime.

My question is, shall we bring food just for us, or maybe we can coordinate who is bringing what.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom