2nd Annual Conch Fossiling Expedition guided by Mark Renz! April 1, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad:
Maybe this year I'll be able to make it. Will Hermit Crab need ScubaKat11's old wetsuit? Hmm? Maybe I can get the majority of the clan to go on this trip.
Thanks, Hermit Crab finally has a suit of her own!!!

diver doh:
Is there an airport near there? Maybe I can get one of the Talon or gunship crews I am working with let me walk off the ramp and "drop" in :D

http://www.airnav.com/airport/X06
Arcadia Municip Airport ... looks like a typical rural patch and puddlejumper service.

If you need a jump marker, we'll round up the conchers for a group mooning round the campfire. :D

Scuba_Jenny:
What part is "not her thing?" The camping, fossiling, hanging out with a bunch of strangers (who will be friends very shortly)? All are welcome. I may have a non diving buddy with her two kids come also.

I think it is the whole camping thing. She is very outgoing and makes friends easily (although she doesn't care for stuffy, stuck-up types). She knows what she likes and what she doesn't though so I don't want to push her much. I plan to keep working on it, but she most definitely would be happier to end up the day in a bed courtesy of Comfort Inn (as opposed to Coleman).

Well, if you find a hotel nearby, perhaps others who are not into camping will also stay at the motel...thus more will come and not be turned off by the camping. I know, stranger things have happened! :)

Scuba_Jenny:
Well, if you find a hotel nearby, perhaps others who are not into camping will also stay at the motel...thus more will come and not be turned off by the camping. I know, stranger things have happened! :)

:D I will take that as an action item! I will see if I can find any hotels nearby and call them to see if they will consider group rates. I'll post what I find here. Has anyone organized payments yet, or is it too early?

Can anyone give me coordinates for last year's meeting or a ballpark location so I can do a closest-farthest search? Is Arcadia as specific as we know right now?

Arcadia was where we were last year. I believe the campground was Peace River Campground.

I want to go! Might have a bunch of people going including some teens to team up with Hermit Crab

Arcadia is Not that big of a town.
Granted I doubt you will find lodging within walkin (stumbling) distance.
I do believe there are a few lodging establishments.

My only concern is, I -like- camping for the reason of getting away from things,
especially TVs, boom boxes, etc. My mission = UNWIND!

Simply put ... any TVs near the firepit are free game as to becoming firewood. :wink:

I'd be -very- disappointed if this event became a mass exodus to the hotels.

and FYI ... in digging around on river conditions for the Peace River I found a bit of interesting info ... from http://www.canoeoutpost.com/Peace/prwaterlevel.htm
Granted this is for now (mid-feb) and things change quite a bit in 6 weeks.

The Peace River is about 36" (3 feet) above at our dock in Arcadia and rising! Wauchula, Zolfo, Gardner and Brownville are open at this time. Heavy, heavy rains have caused the river to rise. Water is chilly! All other put-ins are still closed until we can confirm hurricane river clean-up is done. 02/10/2006.

-If the water level is 12 inches below normal and lower, river is good for fossil hunting. Water needs to be fairly clear and below normal for fossil hunting. Fishing gets good in low water, work the dark water around the tree stumps. If you stay in the river channel, in the dark water, you shouldn't have to get out except on the upper stretches. If you fall in the river, just stand up, river is that shallow. Kids of all ages are welcome.

-If the water level is between 12 inches below normal and 24 inches above normal, river is perfect for canoeing. Kids of all ages are welcome except when the river goes over 24"above normal, then leave the itty-bitty ones at home. Fossil hunting is so-so, will start to get good once the river level is at normal or below.

-If the water level is at 2 feet above normal to just below 5' above normal all runs are open, no non-swimmers. Currents are swift on the runs north of Gardner and there are lots of downed trees under the water. If you tip you'll lose everything. No hourly rentals. Trips north of Gardner are for the experienced paddler only. When the water is at these levels and higher, you need to stay in the middle of the river, stay away from downed trees (strainers). If you hit a tree, more than likely you'll tip and lose the canoe and all your gear. No kids under six years old as paddlers. Kids, 4 years and older in the middle, are o.k. We suggest that canoes tie together to minimize tipping.

and as it stands, it looks like we won't be canoeing anyway. This info is merely for those who -might- be interested in some paddling while on the trip. (ie. Me :wink: )

Looking at GoogleMaps, I see a Best Western, Ecnomy Inn, Highway Motel, and Historic Park House B+B ... http://www.historicparkerhouse.com/

cudachaser:
I want to go! Might have a bunch of people going including some teens to team up with Hermit Crab
Great! Be good seeing ya again, Joe!

Matt-no worries here, there will be plenty of us camping (besides rum tastes best around a campfire!)

Just an FYI - we don't have to dig on the river itself, last year we dug on an offshoot creek on private land and had EXCELLENT hunting. Mark offered that again this year as he's only been there a few times in the last year and there has been a LOT of rain to wash things up :)

Interested?

OH... and if someone could call the camp ground and make group arrangements I'd be most appreciative!!! My duties this week include working with a bobcat most of the day doing some lot clean ups and I really need to focus on the time doing that to make the spare $ to get out on the river with yawl! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom