2nd Annual Conch Fossiling Expedition guided by Mark Renz! April 1, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin,
This is our first year on this event - I have an 9yr old and a 13yr old both of whom camp with me. Is any of the activity (other than the 'post activity' activity) too much for children. I want to go, but only if I can bring my cubs.

Also, how do we get our payment to Mark? PM me if it is a paypal account.

I'll jump in here. Kids are more than welcome. Hermit Crab will be there again this year, she is 10. She loved looking for fossils and playing in the creek. Make sure the kids have a wetsuit though, as the water is cold. Oh, and some kind of booties too. I have a maybe size 5 suit I can bring for a small kid.
As far as post, pre or any other time activity for the kids, we were in a "remote" campsite, and the kids found stuff to do. The adults generally act like the old fogeys you remember as a kid--setting around the campfire telling stories and nipping at tasty adult beverages. I usually (ok, always) bring stuff for s'mores at night. It is fine for kids. They love it. Don't know of a single kid that has not had a good time at any Conch campout.

Unattended children will be given espresso .... and a free puppy! :wink:

My kids are upset because we can't make it this year. They had as much fun as Nicole and I did last year.

Espresso and a free puppy?!?! :rofl:

OK - I am going out on a limb here and going to ask for help... time to get the phone out and ring a few numbers up! The long and short of it is I need help in contacting Peace River CG and setting up a group camp site (and possibly rates) and I need someone to create a roster of campers vs. campers/fossilers, encouring folks to use the 'sign-up' feature would greatly alleviate that issue.

We can do payment for Mark right on site, it worked out well last year, just as long as its done prior to his arrival (or meeting).

Oh, last year we had something around 40 people show up! It may be about the same again this year as some of the homeschool group my wife is involved with here are very interested in joining us! :)

Scuba_Jenny:
Make sure the kids have a wetsuit though, as the water is cold. Oh, and some kind of booties too. I have a maybe size 5 suit I can bring for a small kid.

Thanks Jenny, but both have wetsiuts and booties as both dive (well, the youngest only in _very_ controlled circumstances). Very nice of you to offer tho. Glad to hear other kids are going - and that the ones last year had a good time. I always bring s'mores fixins too. Trying to talk the wife into going, but I fear it's just not her thing....:sad_2:

SFLDiver:
Unattended children will be given espresso .... and a free puppy! :wink:

I _love_ puppies!
They taste like chicken.
:11:

...Okay, just to keep the PETA pals off my back, I have two dogs that I love almost as much as my kids. But there was this one time in Panama...

What part is "not her thing?" The camping, fossiling, hanging out with a bunch of strangers (who will be friends very shortly)? All are welcome. I may have a non diving buddy with her two kids come also.

Scuba_Jenny:
I have a maybe size 5 suit I can bring for a small kid.

Maybe this year I'll be able to make it. Will Hermit Crab need ScubaKat11's old wetsuit? Hmm? Maybe I can get the majority of the clan to go on this trip.

Is there an airport near there?

I wanna be there, but it is going to be a ferocious dive...Oopss, I mean drive.

Maybe I can get one of the Talon or gunship crews I am working with let me walk off the ramp and "drop" in :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom