2nd Annual Conch Fossiling Expedition guided by Mark Renz! April 1, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering the same thing .... maybe a group feast saturday.
By law, I am -required- to bring the choc.chip sugar bombs.
(Captains have threatened to toss me off boats for Not bringing em!)

I was also plotting some sort of either apple crisp or peach cobbler for sat night.
Might have to run to the store for some vanilla ice cream if it materializes.

Sunscreen and a big wide brim hat works for me.

What do you all think of a pot luck type dinner Saturday night then?
I have a couple of staples that I make when we camp (similar to corned beef/cabbage/potato and chicken/rice.

I never have mastered desserts over a campfire very well - I usually do fresh fruit (pineapples/melons) and toasted marshmallows. If you all are interested, I will bring extra of the entree's though.

Also, I have kind of a cool activity for all the kids - a mini-marshmallow gun out of PVC that we did on the last scout campout. I would be willing to bring for all the kids, but I need to know the approx number total - if you are bringing children, please IM me with the number and age(s).
(I don't want to waste money and buy too much, but I want all the kids, maybe even the adults, to get to make one)

Kristie, how many do we have confirmed (deposits in) for the event so far?

On the questions, just to make sure:
No canoe required
No diving gear required (except maybe snorkel/mask for fanning)
We will meet Mark and follow him

Two more questions from Question Boy:

Do we need to apply for a fossil permit?

Does the draft of the river warrant bringing a small (17') motorboat? I don't want to haul it if not.

No canoe required
No dive equipment required
We will meet up with Mark. No fossil permit needed.

I will bring the s'mores fixin's again for Friday and Saturday night.

Well, it doesn't seem like we'll be able to make this one.
Work has me penciled in for a bank branch opening/closing.
Hopefully I can either get off the hook, or get done early enough to stop by.
Was really loking forward to this,and all the good company.
Well, I guess there is always next time.

thedaddy:
Two more questions from Question Boy:

Do we need to apply for a fossil permit?

Does the draft of the river warrant bringing a small (17') motorboat? I don't want to haul it if not.

No fossil permit required...

And I would leave the boat at home... You will be spending the entire day witha shovel and sifting tray standing in the water.

Last year the river was still over the banks of the Arcadia River. We did all of the fossiling in a tributary of the Arcadia.

Jeff

(still PO'd that he isn't gonna make it this year!)

I don't know how the camp is laid out, but I just spent the day cutting up an old oak from the hurricanes and filled the bed of my truck with firewood. I will bring half of it so we won't have to scrounge. It is nice and dry too, so it won't smoke too much.
Thanks much to my cousins for letting me have it for the taking!

Again, if you're bringing children let me know so I bring enough supplies.

Hey gang! Just want to letcha know Kris and I have been busy this weekend (we're at Jenny's right now - she and her daughter watched our boys for us!! :)) and I've made her aware of the activity on the thread she needs to get caught up on! :D

Firewood and food is good, Daddio!!! Jenny answered the rest!

Ok where are all the Conch party animals and fossil hunters?
We are only a couple weeks from this event and only about 20 have signed up.
I know we can make a better showing than that. This is a GREAT event and the PARTY is even better, since we are not diving. Below is a few shapshot from last years event. I will not ID anyone to protect the innocent. :D
The fossils are part of what Roxanne and I found.
If you have already signed up see you there, If you want go and have not signed up go here. This is OPEN TO EVERYONE
http://www.scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2006-4-1&c=10

Oh.. you can identify people! I'm the large dude in the wood chair and that looks nekkid on the water pic.. Simon is on fire... Mark Renz is the guy in the camp waders... That looks like a mammoth tooth on the tailgate with all kinds of other great finds including meggie chunks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom