2011 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gym is actually free. My job reimburses me so I hit it almost every day during lunch while at work. I sit and stare at excel spreadsheets 40 hrs a week wtih a 2 hour round trip commute so my but is idle 10 hrs each day. We live beside the C&O Canal National park so I do get out there and do walkies (puppies all in doggie heaven at the moment) and ride my bike. Have a veggie garden too. I think the 10 hrs on my buttock takes its toll. I need to drop 20 pounds and want to be in shape. Feel so much better when taking care of myself. I know when I am not working it is much easier to take off and keep off the pounds. Keep it up. Hope if you want to work the right job comes along.

Cool beans on the free gym. If I could get it free, I would take advantage of it! thanks for the well wishes on the job hunt. My previous employ of 5 years (laid off 2 weeks ago) had me sitting in front of a computer all day. Don't want to do that again. I know where you are coming from.
I have been losing weight since January of this year through weight watchers. Few things I learned. Portion control. Smaller portions. Eat lots of veggies and fruits and watch out for the dressings. And drink lots of fluids, that's water for me.

Keep up the good work! I use a medley of diets, currently using MyPlate, a free online calorie calculator. Reading a book titled,"Half assed", about a woman who lost over 200# with diet and exercise.

You all inspire me. I followed last years thread. Not sure where you have the time to fit all you do into your day. Do any of you work? I finally bit the bullet and switched gyms. So I have a 30 min quick workout. Made it 4 days out of a 5 day work week. Do all the chores and stuff around the house count? :)

I think we inspire each other. Glad to have you join us in this journey.
I work alot of hours and find it difficult to work in exercise, but I know I'm feeling sooooo much better with the weight off. So I stay persistant and find the time to keep myself healthy. I also try to incorperate exercise into thise daily chores.
Keep posting and we'll keep inspiring each other!

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew
or your just gonna be reading about it!

Last edited:
I think we inspire each other. Glad to have you joined us in this journey.

Keep posting and we'll keep inspiring each other!

Reposting because it needs repeating! :)

Treated myself to a new pair of running shoes today. Took a walk in them this evening and they feel so good. Gonna hit the gym at lunchtime tomorrow with my new shoes and heading downstairs to pack myself a healthy lunch. Intoxicating how great I feel when I am taking care of myself.

Have a 5K on Memorial day. Keeping low key on exercise till then. Walked 40 min at the doggie park this morning and putzed around this afternoon.

So much for keeping it low. My leisurely walk at the doggie park this morning became a leisurely 40 min run!

5K this morning. I overslept. Woke up 40 min late, threw on my clothes and was out the door in 3 minutes! Never been to this destination, directions were on the computer and it was taking too long to wake up so I decided to wing it. Luckily, I got within a couple miles and found cars that were following the one in front. Figured it was safe and fell in line. Got there in plenty of time.

Oh as a preface to the race, this week of relaxation and good nights sleep to prime for the race didn't happen. I pulled two all nighters 75 miles south in the Keys holding very sick pilot whales. One night I was in the water for about 9 hrs total, the second night about 2.5. Yesterday I had a pool party. Add in all the time cleaning (dust getting kicked up. ugh. allergies) and preparing, left me tired and wondering why the heck I was even thinking of running this morning.

But, I am frugal and couldn't see my $20 entry fee not being used.. so I decided to run. I chose to run in my NB Minimus shoes over my VFFs. If the race was on grass, it would be a no brainer to go with the VFFs, but I haven't been doing much training on asphalt and didn't want to risk an injury. My feet didn't like me. LOL

I started off pretty good, taking about a minute to reach the start line, easy pace, but quickly ran out of steam. I was breathing hard and I felt like jello. The first mile was 12:39. Not bad when taking into consideration the minute difference. Mile two was at 25:+change. Ok. Doable. I can come in under 40:00 (my goal). I walked a lot- probably a mile in total. Just couldn't get going and struggled most of the way. When we got down to 2/10 ths left, I decided to pull off the shoes. FREEDOM! My feet thanked me and I felt like I had wings! Made a late charge, and sprinted through the final shoot barefoot! I loved it. Should have taken those dang things off earlier.

My friend who finished 15 min earlier was there. Thank God! I didn't know if I wanted to throw up or pass out. She handed me a water which I dumped some on my head before reaching for a sip. The local fire dept. had a firehose for after the race cool down and I stood under the gushing water for a few seconds. I was way overheated, probably dehydrated and just plain whooped!

Final time 40:49, not adjusted. Drat. So close, yet so far away..

(looking at the website for results...)

YES!!! YES!! YES!!!! Net time (adjusted) 39:58!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!! YES!!! That sprint at the end clinched it!!

(nice blister on the top of my left pinkie toe... proof I should be running in VFFs or barefoot :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom