2006 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
But why did Florida drop one position? Was it because of the team they played this past weekend? (I think they played Western Carolina Junior High School or someone easy like that....._

That's exactly why they dropped. Western Carolina is a Division I-AA team.

I think it boils down to four games -- IF Notre Dame beats USC, Arkansas beats LSU and Florida beats Florida State, then the winner of the SEC Championship Game (Arkansas vs. Florida) will play Ohio State in the BCS National Championship Game. However, if USC beats both Notre Dame and UCLA, then the Trojans will play Ohio State.

mike_s:
But why did Florida drop one position? Was it because of the team they played this past weekend? (I think they played Western Carolina Junior High School or someone easy like that....._
You know it's a bad team when we scored more points then they had total offensive yards. Really.

After watching the Ohio/Michigan game I have my doubts about anyone against the Buckeys.

TwoBit

NetDoc:
You know it's a bad team when we scored more points then they had total offensive yards. Really.

Well when you look at their record, they haven't hardly won any games all year. That and the division they are in explains their score. (or lack of score).

I really hate to see games like this.... however, the finger shouldn't be pointed at Florida here. All teams do games like this. My father calls them "prostitute games", because the other team is paid to come in and "lay down" for an easy screw.

These games do have a good side though. Small colleges like this are paid a big sum of money to play big teams like this. Often $1 to $2 million bucks (of gate receipts). For these small colleges, this easily funds their entire athletic budget for the year and also gives their players a chance to play a 'big' team and in a huge stadium that they would not normally ever get to play in.

As for their yardage.... yeah.... Western Carolina got 24 yards rushing and 35 yards receiving. That's pretty pathetic. The 24 yards rushing was on 28 attempts, so that's .9 yards per attempt. (again pretty bad).

They did do good however with 148 yards on Kickoff return. But that was on 8 Kickoff returns! They got 0 (zero) yards on punt returns though... I guess Florida never had to punt huh? (how often do you see that in a game). For a team that played that bad, I noticed they didn't have any turnovers though. That's good, but doesn't pay the rent.

The ironic thing is the possession time. They are almost equal. I guess that's from them trying to run the ball more and the clock not stopping. Also if you don't get first downs or completed passes, the clock never stops...

Florida lost 90 yards in penalties though... Thats about the only bad thing they did.

The only bad thing about this for Florida is that playing such a lower division non ranked team dropped them one spot in the rankings even though they won 62 to 0.

ScubaTexan:
That's exactly why they dropped. Western Carolina is a Division I-AA team.

I think it boils down to four games -- IF Notre Dame beats USC, Arkansas beats LSU and Florida beats Florida State, then the winner of the SEC Championship Game (Arkansas vs. Florida) will play Ohio State in the BCS National Championship Game. However, if USC beats both Notre Dame and UCLA, then the Trojans will play Ohio State.

Or because the BCS stayed 1 and 2 Ohio State and Michigan will rematch for the BCS Title

mulefeathers:
Or because the BCS stayed 1 and 2 Ohio State and Michigan will rematch for the BCS Title

It should be two conference champions playing for the title. After the way they played on Saturday, I'm not sure Michigan deserves to be ranked No. 2 anymore. You can't miss that many tackles, blow so many pass coverages, commit stupid penalties and still be considered a great team. One loss can -- and does -- spoil an entire great season, and that's what it did.

Is Ohio State a great team? Yes. Do they deserve to be No. 1? Yes. Are they unbeatable? No. Period.

mike_s:
Week 13 AP Top 25
4. Florida 10-1 1,451 (down from #3 last week)
5. Arkansas 10-1 1,365 (holding at #5 from last week)
9. LSU 9-2 1,075 ( holding at #9 from last week)
14. Auburn 10-2 822 (up from #15 from last week)
19. Tennessee 8-3 404 (up from #22 from last week)

Hey Mike, you keep showing AP poll results. The AP is no longer relevant since it is not part of the BCS (Beauty Contest Series) formula.

All I have to say is WAR EAGLE times 5.

I will be very interested to see what happens this weekend. I was gonna say something else, but I don't want to jinx anything. :no I'll have to admit, I normally don't keep up with college ball, but being back in Arkansas now, it's quite exciting.

RocketMan:
Hey Mike, you keep showing AP poll results. The AP is no longer relevant since it is not part of the BSC (Beauty Contest Series) formula.

All I have to say is WAR EAGLE times 5.

You are correct.... While the AP Poll has rules for years, the BCS self imposed poll is the final determining factor with who goes to the bowl series.

Week 13 BCS Standings (for SEC)
4. Florida
6. Arkansas
10. LSU
12. Auburn
20. Tennessee

I personally think there are "too many" College Football Rankings Poll's out there now. There is the AP Poll, the USA Today Poll, the BCS Poll, the Harris Poll, the Coaches Poll, the CBS Poll, and the ESPN Poll.

sEANx32:
I will be very interested to see what happens this weekend. I was gonna say something else, but I don't want to jinx anything. :no I'll have to admit, I normally don't keep up with college ball, but being back in Arkansas now, it's quite exciting.

If Arkansas looses to LSU this weekend, they'll still go to SEC Championship. It will just affect their standings in BCS will affect their bowl bid is all.

mike_s:
Week 13 BCS Standings (for SEC)
4. Florida
6. Arkansas
10. LSU
12. Auburn
20. Tennessee

What is interesting to me about the BCS is that Florida was unaffected in its BCS rankings after playing a Div I-AA school, yet in '04, that was why everyone harped at Auburn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom