2006 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is one great shot matt. you probably watched a better show than any of us did this weekend.

We were at Friday's Front Row waiting for the ScubaBoard "After DEMA Meltdown" Party to start and I caught the last quarter of the game. The "Evil Genius" outdid himself in trying to take down a faster and more talented team. He wasn't quite evil enough! :D

There was a lot of hootin' and hollerin' followed by a round of "We are the Boys of ol' Florida" after the kick was blocked! :D

Well the new AP Poll numbers are out.

Week 12 AP Top 25 (SEC Only):
3. Florida 9-1 1,436 (up from #6 last week)
5. Arkansas 9-1 1,331 (up from #11 last week)
9. LSU 8-2 1,074 (up from #12 last week)
15. Auburn 9-2 751 (plumetted from #5 last week)
22. Tennessee 7-3 276 (down from #13 last week - *ouch*)

Florida vs South Carolina Game:
I thought that South Carolina played a darn good game against Florida. But I fully expected that punt to be blocked. Florida still prevailed though as expected.

LSU vs. Alabama game:
LSU won as expected. Hate it for the Tide though as I'd like to see them done better this year.

Auburn vs Georgia:
what an upset. Auburn fell 10 spots in the AP poll after being spanked by unranked Georgia. This has always been one of my favorite games of the year, but it's clear that Auburn just played lousy. Offense couldn't pass. 4 interceptions. Defensive line kept allowing huge holes in the middle of the line that Georgia just ran through. Knocks Auburn out of any chance of going to SEC bowl in Atlanta (if Arkansas lost 2 of it's last games). Auburn just didn't play up to it's own potential. Where was the Auburn team that beat Florida? this surely doesn't seem like it. good thing that Auburn didn't play Vandy this year..... (that could have been really embarrasing to loose to them, which might have happened).

Arkansas vs Tennessee:
With the win over Tenn and Auburns loss, this seals Arkansas bid for the SEC West to Atlanta. Looks like it'll Arkansas vs Florida for sure in the SEC Championship.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. USC
4. Florida
5. Notre Dame
6. Rutgers
7. Arkansas
8. West Virginia
9. Wisconsin
10. Louisville
11. LSU
12. Boise State
13. Texas
14. Auburn
15. California

mike_s:
...snip...
Arkansas vs Tennessee:
With the win over Tenn and Auburns loss, this seals Arkansas bid for the SEC West to Atlanta. Looks like it'll Arkansas vs Florida for sure in the SEC Championship.

Hold your horses there Big Al.

If Auburn beats Alabama in the Iron Bowl on Saturday and Arkansas loses at Mississippi State (a 1 in 10 chance) and to LSU, then Auburn will represent the West Division in the Southeastern Conference Championship Game in Atlanta.

In that scenario, Auburn, LSU and Arkansas would be tied atop the West with 6-2 SEC records. They would each be 1-1 against each other. Auburn and LSU would be 4-1 within the division and Arkansas would be 3-2, thus being eliminated. Auburn would go to Atlanta ahead of LSU on the basis of its 7-3 victory.

I don't think this will happen but it shows just how important those division games are.

I still think the Tie Breaker rule of Arkansas over Auburn will put Arkansas on the plane to Atlanta.... The SEC Rules for the tie breaker have to be followed in order. The head-to-head rule is the first one.

see below URL. Note it's dated 11/06/2006, so comments about "this weekend" refere to the 11/11/06 games.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?...e_id=7899&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2
SEC Football Championship Game Scenarios
11/06/2006

Western Division

• Arkansas, Auburn and LSU remain mathematically eligible for the Western Division championship and a berth in the SEC Championship Game.
  • Arkansas (5-0) owns the tie-breaker against Auburn (5-1) with its 27-10 win over the Tigers. Auburn must finish at least a game ahead of Arkansas in the standings to erase the tie-breaker.
  • Auburn owns the tie-breaker against LSU (3-2) with its 7-3 win over the Tigers. LSU must finish at least a game ahead of Auburn in the standings to erase the tie-breaker.
  • Arkansas and LSU play on Nov. 24 in Little Rock.
  • The only scenario in which a team can clinch the Western Division this weekend would see Arkansas defeat Tennessee and LSU (to Alabama) and Auburn (to Georgia) lose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 SEC DIVISIONAL TIE-BREAKER

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative. All Conference versus Conference Games (both division and non-division) will be counted in the Conference Standings.

TWO-TEAM TIE. In the event two teams are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order:

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams;
  2. Records of the tied teams within the division;
  3. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record, and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place);
  4. Overall record against non-divisional teams;
  5. Combined record against all common non-divisional teams;
  6. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional or non-divisional) and proceeding through other common nondivisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and
  7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

RocketMan:
Hold your horses there Big Al.

If Auburn beats Alabama in the Iron Bowl on Saturday and Arkansas loses at Mississippi State (a 1 in 10 chance) and to LSU, then Auburn will represent the West Division in the Southeastern Conference Championship Game in Atlanta.

In that scenario, Auburn, LSU and Arkansas would be tied atop the West with 6-2 SEC records. They would each be 1-1 against each other. Auburn and LSU would be 4-1 within the division and Arkansas would be 3-2, thus being eliminated. Auburn would go to Atlanta ahead of LSU on the basis of its 7-3 victory.

I don't think this will happen but it shows just how important those division games are.

Ok... after discussion with Rocketman, I agree now. :D

But for that to happen is a huge longshot.
  1. Auburn would have to beat Alabama, which is expected, putting AU 10-2 overall, 6-2 conference, 4-1 division
  2. LSU would have to beat Ole Miss, which is expected. this would put LSU 5-2 in conference and 4-1 in division
  3. Miss State would have to beat Arkansas (which is unlikely). If Arkansas lost, it would put them 6-1 in conference and 3-1 in division.
  4. LSU would have to beat Arkansas. This would put LSU 6-2 in conf and 5-1 in division and would put Arkansas 6-2 in conference and 3-2 in Division.

This would put all teams (Auburn, LSU, Arkansas) with 2 conference losses in a three way tie.

The head-to-head rule would be a 3-way-Tie since Arkansas beat Auburn, LSU beat Arkansas, and Auburn beat LSU. Therefore it would go to Rule B (3 way) on Division losses. Arkansas would be knocked out with 2 division loses. LSU and Auburn would tie with 1 Division loss each. This would go back to Rule A of the head-to-head tie breaker between LSU and Auburn, with Auburn prevailing. (ciomplicated huh?)

Auburn would go to Atlanta. (but boy what a longshot).

(Did I get that right Rocketman?)

THREE-TEAM TIE (OR MORE). If three teams are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order: (Note: If one of the procedures results in one team being eliminated and two remaining, the two-team tiebreaker procedure as stated in No. 1 above will be used):

• A. Combined head to head record among the tied teams;
  • B. Record of the tied teams within the division;
  • C. Head to head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place);
  • D. Overall Conference record against non divisional teams;
  • E. Combined record against all common non divisional teams;
  • F. Record against the common non divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non divisional) and proceeding through other common non divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and
  • G. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest-ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

mike_s:
...snip...
(Did I get that right Rocketman?)

Give that man a cracker.

And what a long shot it would be...about as long as me winning the next umpteen million $ lottery.

RocketMan:
about as long as me winning the next umpteen million $ lottery.

You could buy yourself your own dive-boat and a set of HP100's :D

But you at least gotta buy a ticket if you wanna win...

For their next trick, Mike and Rocket will now reveal why LSU is three places ahead of Auburn in the BCS standings, despite Auburn's 7-3 win over LSU.... LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom