13 things that confuse the smartest people on Earth.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600

I think #6 is my favorite, but #12 disturbs me the most.

#1 and #4 don't surprise me at all. It always amazes me how little we actually know about our own bodies.

The possibilities of #3 excite me :D

That's because too many scientists seek an evolutionary (i.e. God is not necessary) explanation for the physical universe and all that is in it, rather than study it to perhaps understand its marvelous, supernatural, complexity.

Green_Manelishi:
That's because too many scientists seek an evolutionary (i.e. God is not necessary) explanation for the physical universe and all that is in it, rather than study it to perhaps understand its marvelous, supernatural, complexity.
I think you generalize scientists too much.

First of all, many famous scientists were quite certain in their belief in God, such as Einstein and Newton.

Second, seeking understanding is at the base of all these mysteries. We *want* to understand the marvelous complexity of ourselves and the universe.. believing in God does not preclude us from attempting to understand His creation, if you believe in that.

But let's not turn this into a religious discussion, please :)

jonnythan:

First of all, many famous scientists were quite certain in their belief in God, such as Einstein and Newton.

Second, seeking understanding is at the base of all these mysteries. We *want* to understand the marvelous complexity of ourselves and the universe.. believing in God does not preclude us from attempting to understand His creation, if you believe in that.

This also continues to confuse the brightest minds on earth - believing that talking about God is a religious discussion. There couldn't be any two things further apart than God and "religion."

Cool list, BTW.

---
Ken

I am often blown away by how wonderful life and nature is in its seemingly unending mysteries. I hope I don't get bashed for leaving God out of it though.

All those astronomy-related ones are well known to the astronomers and vaguely interested amateurs like me... they're discussed all the time on www.badastronomy.com. Very nice discussion board.

Lots of folks have always figured that the placebo effect would eventually be traced to biochemical pathways. When it's all said and done, *everything* related to the nervous system (or life) links back to biochemistry.

I have my own series of beliefs, quite non-religious ones, that enable me to say I'm simply not surprised at #12. I've already figured as much. In fact as far as I'm concerned it's sort of related to #2 as well as the discovery that time itself is ever-so-slightly speeding up..........

jonnythan:

From what i recall, many old world scientists were religious folks trying to prove religious ideals and many were proven true.

As for the list, i think half of them are fairly well known, a couple were new ones to me.

I think we need to understand our own planet and ourselves before we go running to the stars and chase for intelligent life out there.

simbrooks:
From what i recall, many old world scientists were religious folks trying to prove religious ideals and many were proven true.

As for the list, i think half of them are fairly well known, a couple were new ones to me.

I think we need to understand our own planet and ourselves before we go running to the stars and chase for intelligent life out there.
I had heard of most of them, but only knew about a couple in any detail.

FWIW, I think there's no problem with pushing our level of knowledge in all directions at once :wink:

Back
Top Bottom