13 things that confuse the smartest people on Earth.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
That's because too many scientists seek an evolutionary (i.e. God is not necessary) explanation for the physical universe and all that is in it, rather than study it to perhaps understand its marvelous, supernatural, complexity.

So let's say that some researcher provides the world with the perfect evolutionary explanation for the physical universe. The universe started with the big bang. Well, ..., where did the "soup" come from and what is it expanding into?

Bill.

therein lies the edge of science

we can only "know" what we can observe, and we can't observe the universe
except as it is and retrogade it to the Big Bang. that's theory.

going beyond that would be speculation.

either way :wink:

jonnythan:
As a note, we don't formulate laws to explain what we see.

We observe phenomena, make guesses as to why it happens that way, test the guesses, and if the guesses hold up we call them theories, not laws.

If we reliably observe a phenomena that contradicts our theories, we have no problems going back to the drawing board. It happens all the time... but it really puzzles us when we can't even begin to guess why something happens the way it happens :wink:

BTW your photon thing is an oddity of quantum mechanics.. and I promise there are a lot of people banging their heads on their desks every day to try and figure it out well enough.

Ideally, yes. Basic scientific method. However, in reality we don't do things that way. We observe phenomena, make guesses as to why it happens that way, test the guesses (if we can), and, over time, if no one disproves them we start calling them "the Laws of...".

We have plenty of laws that cannot be tested.

3dent:
We have plenty of laws that cannot be tested.

could you name one?

we do have theories that can't really be proven, only disproven.

once they are disproven, hopefully a more accurate one can take its place.

Sideband:
I get a "Page can not be displayed" error. I can't view it. Bah!
I am sure some facet of science has tried to explain this type of anomoly, i get it once in a while, i reckon we should try to devise a law about it :wink:

I just saw a fascinating movie over the weekend...if you are interested in the present discussion, you should see this movie. It is now available on dvd. Here is the website

www.whatthebleep.com

Maya:
I just saw a fascinating movie over the weekend...if you are interested in the present discussion, you should see this movie. It is now available on dvd. Here is the website

www.whatthebleep.com
Can you rent it at blockbuster?

H2Andy:
therein lies the edge of science

we can only "know" what we can observe, and we can't observe the universe
except as it is and retrogade it to the Big Bang. that's theory.

going beyond that would be speculation.

either way :wink:

And therein lies the failure of the (stated too frequently as fact) theory of macro-evolution. It is not observable nor has it been observed, nor can it be tested. However, when that obstacle is mentioned then hopeful monsters are hatched to explain the lack of fossil evidence, OR micro-evolution (i.e. adaptation within a group or kind) is proposed as proof of macro-evolution (a kind morphing over time into a completely different kind).

I'd also suggest that because "the law of evolution" lacks any real evidence it has been decided that gravity is now a theory despite that fact that it works and can be tested as well as observed.

Lightning Fish:
Well, ..., where did the "soup" come from and what is it expanding into?

Bill.

Well, there was nothing (except perhaps a string) and then it exploded into something and then from lifelessness came life. All it takes is time ....

green, enough people have argued about evolution already, so i don't want
to get into that.

just go to a zoo sometime and watch a grown chimpanzee (not a baby or juvenile,
like most of the ones they use in movies). watch an adult chimp for about
an hour.

open your mind and just watch.

also, you can't prove the existance of God, can you?
yet you believe in Him with all your heart.
you can't observe him. you can't "test" him.
it's all faith, man... it's all faith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom