DIR- Generic DIR-friendly OW classes in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a friend who wants to get certified and asked me for some advice. So I am looking for recommendations of instructors who teach OW classes in a DIR configuration with proper buoyancy, trim, skills, etc.

I did mention GUE Rec 1, but he didn't seem to be willing to do it because of the higher cost.

Either Cave Country or South Florida would work.

So your friend merely wants to wear the gear of a GUE diver but does not want to learn to be a GUE diver.

Let him/her know there is more to GUE/DIR than wearing a back plate and wing.

So your friend merely wants to wear the gear of a GUE diver but does not want to learn to be a GUE diver.

Let him/her know there is more to GUE/DIR than wearing a back plate and wing.

He doesn't even know what GUE is. He just asked me for recommendations on where to get certified. So I'm trying to put him in the right direction.

He doesn't even know what GUE is. He just asked me for recommendations on where to get certified. So I'm trying to put him in the right direction.

Just FYI, right now with GUE it is possible to do the "Recreational Supervised Diver" course first, and then upgrade to the REC1 with just some dives + the remaining theory; info at page 21 of GUE standards, section 2.1.3.3: https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.2.pdf

If cost is his primary concern about GUE, this option can be a solution; however, there are some limits with this course that are more stringent than other OW courses.

There exist a number of amazing instructors outside GUE, so another route might be great as well, but I cannot recommend any (I am a bit far and don't know that area :D )

I have a friend who wants to get certified and asked me for some advice. So I am looking for recommendations of instructors who teach OW classes in a DIR configuration with proper buoyancy, trim, skills, etc.

I did mention GUE Rec 1, but he didn't seem to be willing to do it because of the higher cost.

Either Cave Country or South Florida would work.
Ryan Custureri at AQUI Water Sports teaches exactly like that. :)

It would be interesting if your friend tried something like GoFundMe, with a promise to post a detailed class report here on SB. There seem to be so few people who take Rec 1 that we rarely get to hear what it's like from an actual student. I say give it a shot!

Also ask him where he is planning to dive or if he want to travel. Many operators on resorts do not know what GUE is. So they might still want to do a PADI cert for that purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom