Training Locations in Central Florida (winter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCS

Tec Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone. My family and I will be spending a few weeks in Central Florida (Orlando, Ginnie Springs, etc…) in late December / early January. We are all divers, but my daughter is bringing a friend who isn’t certified. I’m planning to do her OWD course when we get down there. Could any of you give me a lead on locations or facilities that are available for visiting instructors to use in Central Florida? I’m primarily looking for locations to conduct the confined water portion, but I would welcome suggestions for the open water portion as well.

Blue Grotto fits all your needs. They have an onsite pool and platforms.

Blue Grotto fits all your needs. They have an onsite pool and platforms.
Thanks Tracy. Can’t believe I did think of that one myself. I was just there in April, but I was just diving with my daughter, so I didn’t consider using it as a teaching location.

I booked cabins for four days. We’ll do the course there and then go dive some other central Florida sites before heading to the Caribbean.

Thanks Tracy. Can’t believe I did think of that one myself. I was just there in April, but I was just diving with my daughter, so I didn’t consider using it as a teaching location.

I booked cabins for four days. We’ll do the course there and then go dive some other central Florida sites before heading to the Caribbean.
Depending on when you are going, make sure to book the pool ahead of time. It can fill up with classes if you are in high season.

Reactions: CCS
Depending on when you are going, make sure to book the pool ahead of time. It can fill up with classes if you are in high season.
Thanks again Tracy. I called and booked our pool time. Looks like we're all set now. I appreciate your solid recommendations.

Thanks again Tracy. I called and booked our pool time. Looks like we're all set now. I appreciate your solid recommendations.
Make sure your insurance covers Blue Grotto as an "additional insured." They may even require it.

If you want another location in cave country, check out Troy Spring. Max depth 70ft. A cave instructor I use for guided dives (who also teaches OW) loves Fanning Spring. Max depth is 18ft. Very pool like, but they limit it to 15 people at a time, per their website.

If you want another location in cave country, check out Troy Spring. Max depth 70ft. A cave instructor I use for guided dives (who also teaches OW) loves Fanning Spring. Max depth is 18ft. Very pool like, but they limit it to 15 people at a time, per their website.
We dove Troy Spring this summer, but having been to Fanning Spring yet. We'll check it out sometime.

Royal springs is another option depending on river height. It browns out easily if it has been raining. But is free and normally quite nice.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom