DIR- Generic DIR-friendly OW classes in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

Thank you for the numerous recommendations for us. We really appreciate it.

Hi @ahcalde, I own Aqui Water Sports in Lauderdale by the Sea FL. We would be happy to get your friend setup on a course if they are interested. I have multiple instructors on staff that all teach a proper OW course in neutral buoyancy and trim using a BP/W system.

We give all students the choice of long hose (preferable) or short hose setup for the duration of the course, and focus on proper body mechanics and propulsion for the duration of the course. Our primary teaching model is failure based training where we try to work on realistic scenarios and repetition of skills underwater.

If you would like to setup time to talk, let me know!

Cheers,
Landon Lasseter MD MS MBA
Partner - Aquí Water Sports

It should be noted that the equipment being described here is used by technical divers in all agencies, and since many of them also teach OW classes as well, it is possible to find people teaching OW classes in such gear in all agencies. You may have to search for them, but they are around. You can even find it with PADI instruction here in Colorado.

I don't want to wade into this too deep, but here I go. IMHO, @ahcalde one of the things your friend really needs to consider is class contact hours and the time involved to develop a diver, plus what the outcomes of the course are and how many other students will be in the class.

A GUE Rec 1 class is a minimum of 5 days (and it is usually 6). It includes 10 "pool sessions" and 6 check-out dives over 40 contact hours. It also includes rescue training and nitrox use in the program and they have a maximum 4:1 ratio for students to instructor in the class.

The GUE standards can be found here https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.2.pdf, section 2.1.3 is the rec 1 standard.

GUE Rec 1 also includes some rescue training and nitrox use, so consider their program as the same as scuba diver + rescue + nitrox.

Other agencies do not require that level of input and contact in the beginning program. Unfortunately, I can drive up and down A1A in Broward county and find dive shops that will turn out a certified diver in 3 days in classes with up to 8 students in them. In the race to the bottom, those shops maximize students and minimize contact times with the student, and let's be honest for a minute, most of those people that graduate from one of those programs are uncomfortable in the water.

The only non-GUE agency that also includes some rescue training in their basic program is NAUI. Everyone else is probably going to skip it.

So when we're talking straight costs, the reason a Rec 1 class is ~3 times the amount of the local shops is because you're getting more training time, with more direct instructor interaction due to reduced ratios, and additional material in the program.

At the end of the day the value proposition is about instructor time, knowledge, experience, and outcomes. Ask your friend what a full week of work is worth to him at his day job, now throw in the expenses of liability insurance, professional membership fees, equipment wear and tear, and travel and he may realize $1500 isn't that outrageous for a Rec 1 class. The "but that's crazy expensive" mindset is actually the main reason I don't teach recreational courses - my time has a value and I try to give everything into my classes, but if I told someone they would need to pay me a minimum of $1500 for a week of my life they'd probably just go to the random shop down the road anyway.

Is it possible for someone to become a diver in 3 days? Maybe. I've done it a few times in 1:1 sessions with people that had already been heavily involved in aquatics for years. But those were rare and I've really never been happy with that and I'd say it really should only be reserved for situations with 1:1 or 2:1 ratios.

Ok, on to my personal recommendations. I've watched Landon at Aqui teach several times, mostly more advanced stuff (deep diver, etc). I would have no qualms about sending someone to him for those classes, but I am not sure what he does for OW training in terms of time/energy (no offense Landon, I just don't know what your OW program is like). Dave Ochs at Aqua Safari would be my top recommendation for non-GUE recreational training, but beware, he charges $2000 a person, but there's a reason he charges that.

I don't want to wade into this too deep, but here I go. IMHO, @ahcalde one of the things your friend really needs to consider is class contact hours and the time involved to develop a diver, plus what the outcomes of the course are and how many other students will be in the class.

A GUE Rec 1 class is a minimum of 5 days (and it is usually 6). It includes 10 "pool sessions" and 6 check-out dives over 40 contact hours. It also includes rescue training and nitrox use in the program and they have a maximum 4:1 ratio for students to instructor in the class.

The GUE standards can be found here https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.2.pdf, section 2.1.3 is the rec 1 standard.

GUE Rec 1 also includes some rescue training and nitrox use, so consider their program as the same as scuba diver + rescue + nitrox.

Other agencies do not require that level of input and contact in the beginning program. Unfortunately, I can drive up and down A1A in Broward county and find dive shops that will turn out a certified diver in 3 days in classes with up to 8 students in them. In the race to the bottom, those shops maximize students and minimize contact times with the student, and let's be honest for a minute, most of those people that graduate from one of those programs are uncomfortable in the water.

The only non-GUE agency that also includes some rescue training in their basic program is NAUI. Everyone else is probably going to skip it.

So when we're talking straight costs, the reason a Rec 1 class is ~3 times the amount of the local shops is because you're getting more training time, with more direct instructor interaction due to reduced ratios, and additional material in the program.

At the end of the day the value proposition is about instructor time, knowledge, experience, and outcomes. Ask your friend what a full week of work is worth to him at his day job, now throw in the expenses of liability insurance, professional membership fees, equipment wear and tear, and travel and he may realize $1500 isn't that outrageous for a Rec 1 class. The "but that's crazy expensive" mindset is actually the main reason I don't teach recreational courses - my time has a value and I try to give everything into my classes, but if I told someone they would need to pay me a minimum of $1500 for a week of my life they'd probably just go to the random shop down the road anyway.

Is it possible for someone to become a diver in 3 days? Maybe. I've done it a few times in 1:1 sessions with people that had already been heavily involved in aquatics for years. But those were rare and I've really never been happy with that and I'd say it really should only be reserved for situations with 1:1 or 2:1 ratios.

Ok, on to my personal recommendations. I've watched Landon at Aqui teach several times, mostly more advanced stuff (deep diver, etc). I would have no qualms about sending someone to him for those classes, but I am not sure what he does for OW training in terms of time/energy (no offense Landon, I just don't know what your OW program is like). Dave Ochs at Aqua Safari would be my top recommendation for non-GUE recreational training, but beware, he charges $2000 a person, but there's a reason he charges that.
SEI and PDIC also include rescue skills in the basic Open Water certification with minimums of 12 hours pool and 12 class with 16 in each recommended plus the open water dives. I was one of the first SEI Instructors who crossed over from the YMCA. Even though I certify now through SDI, the class is essentially the same one as I taught when I was a YMCA instructor. I just have to use computers now. But I still teach tables, rescue skills, and emergency deco procedures using the Navy air tables. Class is still a minimum of 12 hours in the pool with one or two students. 12 hours classroom even if they do elearning.
We also cover gas management using SAC and RMV as well as rock bottom calculations. Because of virtually unlimited pool access the pool sessions are often 14-16 hours over 6-8 sessions and no one goes to open water unless I'm sure they not only can do all the skills, but could assist me if I had a problem.
Students also get to use, jackets, back inflates, and BPW's during the pool sessions and then they decide what they want to dive for checkouts.
I have found that switching BC's up doesn't seem to have much if any impact other than comfort. If I don't make a big deal out of it, they just see using different gear as part of the normal process.

Ok, on to my personal recommendations. I've watched Landon at Aqui teach several times, mostly more advanced stuff (deep diver, etc). I would have no qualms about sending someone to him for those classes, but I am not sure what he does for OW training in terms of time/energy (no offense Landon, I just don't know what your OW program is like).

No worries Ken. I mostly teach tech these days honestly, and rarely teach OW. Saying that, we do train all of our in-house instructors to teach a proper DIR style OW course. They are evaluated extensively before we hire them, have to shadow us for a couple of courses, and must pass our standard at teaching.

At Aquí, our OW course typically consists of about 12-16 hours of actual water time, spread out over 3-4 days. We review training each day after we return to shop, provide feedback, and adjust training based on performance. We are up front with students if more time will be needed, as we only pass them once they are proficient. We also have a maximum size for all recreational classes of 4, so students can get proper individual attention and training. This is regardless of what the agency standard is (typically 8 as you mention).

Current pricing is $600 for an OW class spot, or $800 for private. Rescue and Nitrox are not included as standard, but can be added in as part of the course. TDI Nitrox is $250, and Rescue is $400-600 depending. I tend to teach a little extra for Rescue and CPR given my background as an MD.

A 3-way combination would take at least 5-6 days, have 16-20 hours of water time, multiple evenings of classroom sessions, and would end up in the $1250-1600 range.

We certainly aren’t the cheapest in town, but mass cattle production isn’t our business model. Training with us can mean long days, even at the OW level. We do however love to work with students who are motivated and wanting to develop the proper skills.

Stop in when you are in town next if you would like to sit in on something. Hopefully we will see each other on the boat sometime soon.

+1 for Aqui Watersport. I believe they train in BPW configuration. If I knew about them when I wanted to get certified I would have gone to Ryan and Landon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom