Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've a pair of buddywatcher ultrasonic pingers, they can be paired in the air but you have to have the emitters practically touching. I.e. the effective range is like an inch in the air. Underwater it's a good 30-50 metres. (And I can't hear their ping, BTW.)

The radio is of course the opposite.

So I can see why the ultrasound-only option would be suboptimal for pre-dive gear check, but seriously: just because the radio part works topside, doesn't prove the ultrasonic part will after you splash.

So I can see why the ultrasound-only option would be suboptimal for pre-dive gear check, but seriously: just because the radio part works topside, doesn't prove the ultrasonic part will after you splash.
Exactly. This is a bit concerning, and makes me wonder what Garmin was thinking with this. Unless there is a way to activate the sonar out of the water, you really can’t verify that everything is operating properly until you are underwater.

I’ve been using the same PPS transmitter since 2013 or so. It’s been working flawlessly. I seem to remember some early instances where my computer didn’t display the pressure, but it cleared up quickly, and may have actually been due to operator error. Lowish battery and transmitter on opposite side as computer. I can’t recall the last time that happened though, and my downloaded logs don’t show anything to indicate that comms were lost. Seems like a solution to a non-existent problem.

I guess no one has ever had anything fail in water after precheck.

Really all this has been chatted about forever as with AI. It comes down to personal comfort level and risk tolerance. If you are uncomfortable, carry a backup.

If you don't like the tech, there is other tech.Or maybe some need to get back to the days before bcd's when things were simple.

....Actually with all this chatter I think I'm gonna order a J valve just incase....who knows with Garmin since it does use batteries and does way too many things..

I'm off to go grab my flippers and goggles and go fill my oxygen tank then go for a snorkel.

:scubadiver:

I guess no one has ever had anything fail in water after precheck.
There is a difference between checking something out, and having a failure during the dive, and not even being able to check at all before the dive.

At least with the other transmitters, if I see pressure above the water, I know it’s on and working. They don’t switch to some other protocol during the dive that may or may not work. I’m comfortable enough with my transmitter that I don’t dive with a backup SPG. If I test it, and find it’s not working, I can swap the transmitter for an SPG. (I do carry tools and a spare SPG, or spare regulators.)

I’m not opposed to new tech. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to not have the ability to confirm operation prior to diving. The above mentioned swap is more of a hassle if you find out you need to do it on descent. If there was a way to test the sonar transmissions out of the water, that would be fine.

There is a difference between checking something out, and having a failure during the dive, and not even being able to check at all before the dive.

I'm not opposed to new tech. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to not have the ability to confirm operation prior to diving..

How do you check your computers depth sensor or a depth gauge prior to diving?

What about having some sort of system check that we can activate predive to verify computer functionality? Sure the buttons do things and the screen is on but how do we know it will work corectly underwater.

The damn tech is so technical... like I said J valve here I come..

How do you check your computers depth sensor or a depth gauge prior to diving?

What about having some sort of system check that we can activate predive to verify computer functionality? Sure the buttons do things and the screen is on but how do we know it will work corectly underwater.

The damn tech is so technical... like I said J valve here I come..
Actually, I can check my computers depth sensor. At least I can pull up what it is reading as atmospheric pressure, and if it’s reading significantly higher pressure than it should, it would be in dive mode.

I agree. A startup sequence that would confirm operation of the sonar would be perfect. As I understand it, the Garmin MK2i actually pairs with the transmitter. I understand that as two way communication, so it should be possible.

I’m not at all opposed to technological advancements, and was definitely eyeing the Garmin since it first came out. There are many things I like about it. The transmitter just feels like it’s different for the sake of being different.

Actually, I can check my computers depth sensor. At least I can pull up what it is reading as atmospheric pressure, and if it’s reading significantly higher pressure than it should, it would be in dive mode.
Im sure that you never miss a dive without looking at atmospheric pressure in a precheck along with and 99% of other computer users

Yes, if your computer hops into dive mode while not in a dive that would be obvious for most that there is an issue. However other than that visual there is still room for computer functionality and sensor issues once pressure is added and of course still sets aside all those who use depth gauge.

All computers would benefit from a self diagnostics that it goes through and verifies that all is truly functional. I'm surprised not one is available yet that does this.

Personally I think they went a different direction on the tx for all the possible options sonar related features in the future...well and its nice for them to have it be proprietary...

But if I have to have an extremely loud beep to be located during a dive, or if someone ever trys sending me a text.. I will still leave it on low.

Here's the Garmin T1 vs the new Shearwater Swift

qI6c0O5.jpg

Not to mention, it would be nice to know what the tank pressure is before jumping in the water.

All computers would benefit from a self diagnostics that it goes through and verifies that all is truly functional. I'm surprised not one is available yet that does this.

There's several problems with it, the biggest one is that "truly functional" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Back
Top Bottom