• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Garmin Descent MK2

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Peter Bomberg, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Peter Bomberg

Peter Bomberg Solo Diver

Does anyone have any info? I am really hoping for Air integration as it seems to be the perfect travel watch (air is the only feature missing from what I can see).

2. kodiak81

kodiak81 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Info? Nope
    Rumors? A bunch

Announcement was expected at DEMA 2019 and nothing came of it. Now it is CES, or maybe May ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There is a rumor of two versions one with wireless AI and one without. I am hoping Garmin uses a standard tank pod from PPS and not a custom one

3. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

That would be completely out of character for [proprietary] Garmin....

CuzzA likes this.
  4. kodiak81

kodiak81 Solo Diver

We are in full speculation mode, so I get to dream :)

rhwestfall likes this.
  5. Peter Bomberg

Peter Bomberg Solo Diver

Ahh yes to dream , can I also dream they use a standard power connector (the whole idea behind a travel watch is after all to skip bringing a dive computer, a running watch, a smart watch and an elegant watch on vacation, oh and since I am dreaming maybe it can use a standard USB charger

6. Caveeagle

Caveeagle Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they make AI to be compatible with existing technology. I had a good conversation with one of their engineers at DEMA’17 when it the mk1 was first released. Their developers were very in tune to Shearwater and they seemed to be well aware that was the standard by which they would be judged.

Peter Bomberg likes this.
  7. Peter Bomberg

Peter Bomberg Solo Diver

Caveeagle, now you are making me very happy! Of course the question is when and how much but ....

8. Caveeagle

Caveeagle Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have no idea if, or when a mk2 version will be out. I bought my kid a mk1 for Christmas but hay was because he will make good use of the other garmin features that the Teric does not do. So it’s a gps fitness watch, that can be a dive computer when needed.

If I wanted something that was 90% Dive computer, I would stick w the Teric.

scrane likes this.
  9. Peter Bomberg

Peter Bomberg Solo Diver

I agree, but my thinking is on a 3 month trip it's 90% smart watch, 9% fitness and 1% diving. That being said the diving is critical but if I can avoid taking 2 or 3 watches I am way ahead of the game

10. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The direct feedback from Garmin at DEMA as reported by @Johnoly was that neither AI nor the MKII were on the development schedule and they’re still evaluating the MK I.

Pretty disappointing....

Johnoly likes this.