Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the Mk2i/T1 do tell you the tank pressure before jumping in. That's not the problem.

The problem is the communication mechanism changes from ANT+ above water to sonar below water and that introduces a potential point of failure. And it is actually more than just "potential" as I have already seen a number of reports of it working above water but not below - and also vice versa (although I'm not sure why you'd still dive if it wasn't working, unless perhaps you had an SPG).
My mistake! Thanks.

So after playing with it for a few it does look like you can force a sonar signal strength test while dry. It also looks like it can do other sonar and data tests while under some water.
Are you forcing a sonar signal strength test on the the Mk2i or the T1 transmitter?

If the former only, that does not lessen the issue at all.

The problem with the Garmin design is with the transmitter. It switches from ANT+ above the water to sonar underwater. How can you know that a) it will correctly determine it is underwater and b) that the sonar actually works?

As I have stated, there have already been a number of reports where the transmitter worked fine above water but did not communicate underwater. The users in question did not know that it wouldn't work until they had started their dives. Garmin had to replace these units.

How did you get into diagnostic mode?

You turn the mk2i off then on power up when you see the logo press and hold the down button only for around 20 seconds.

There seemed to be another menu by holding multiple buttons but I have yet to get back into it.

Are you forcing a sonar signal strength test on the the Mk2i or the T1 transmitter?

If the former only, that does not lessen the issue at all.
I was only stating what I looks like I found and that I have done a quick play with and not a definitive feature set for everyone's use. But from the looks of it, it looks like you can test both RX and TX...from the looks of it:wink: Maybe it does nothing at all that would be of any benefit to anyone.

The problem with the Garmin design is with the transmitter. It switches from ANT+ above the water to sonar underwater. How can you know that a) it will correctly determine it is underwater and b) that the sonar actually works?
In my opinion this is not really a problem for me but feel free to see it as one and a few others see it as an issue as well. I have never spent too much time worried about my spg, depth gauge, straps, my computer or something else failing during my dives even though it has happened many times for many people. Of course this doesn't mean I don't either dive with a spare or have spares in my kit since failures do happen.

As I have stated, there have already been a number of reports where the transmitter worked fine above water but did not communicate underwater. The users in question did not know that it wouldn't work until they had started their dives. Garmin had to replace these units.

With a bathtub curve and there will be more failures and issues out of the gates than during the normal product life cycle and as such I am not surprised that a couple have failed out of the gates of production. I am near 100 dives in with the mk2i/pod so I think mine is ok. In the seemingly rare event that it did happen to fail in the first 3 to 5 feet of water, I can deal with that fairly quickly.

What I personally see as kind of small issues with the MK2i/pod are things that probably don't matter to many others either, like the Beep/Chirp, only online log (which I feel is just silly), battery indicator for the pod as new, good...ect, lack of compass on any AI screen and a few other small things. Then it does also have some small things that slightly bother me that are not dive related as well like the lack of wireless charging.

I see that Garmin has a 43mm MK2s version that isn’t AI. Has anyone heard if they’re thinking about adding a MK2si? Seems like it wouldn’t be as bulky as a daily watch. Not sure if the smaller face would be too small for diving though.

I see that Garmin has a 43mm MK2s version that isn’t AI. Has anyone heard if they’re thinking about adding a MK2si? Seems like it wouldn’t be as bulky as a daily watch. Not sure if the smaller face would be too small for diving though.
I would think that if they were going to that it would be around October. But usually you would see some paperwork or something come through by now.

The mk2s seems a bit smaller but it apparently has the same size screen as the mk1 which I personally never found as too small. But I do like the larger screen on the mk2i..

I would think that if they were going to that it would be around October. But usually you would see some paperwork or something come through by now.

The mk2s seems a bit smaller but it apparently has the same size screen as the mk1 which I personally never found as too small. But I do like the larger screen on the mk2i..
Thanks for the screen size info. That's helpful. A dive buddy of mine has the MK1 and I thought the screen was fine for what I need. I assume such a watch would be similar to the Fenix 6s as a daily driver. I have one of the full size Fenix watches which I use on hikes or whatever, but I stopped wearing it all the time because I found it too clunky. I'm sure the MK2s is marketed for chicks, but I don't care. If it works above and below for me, that's all that matters. I assume I would just need a different band and I'd be all set.

Does anyone know if the MK2 series watches have customizable templates? In other words, can I change the screen to whatever layout, content or colors I want? I know the Fenix watches have different themes you can create so it seems this may be possible.

Thanks for the screen size info. That's helpful. A dive buddy of mine has the MK1 and I thought the screen was fine for what I need. I assume such a watch would be similar to the Fenix 6s as a daily driver. I have one of the full size Fenix watches which I use on hikes or whatever, but I stopped wearing it all the time because I found it too clunky. I'm sure the MK2s is marketed for chicks, but I don't care. If it works above and below for me, that's all that matters. I assume I would just need a different band and I'd be all set.

Descent Mk2S: 14.15mm thick
Descent Mk2: 17.8mm thick
Descent Mk2i: 17.8mm thick

Fenix 6S: 14.2mm thick
Fenix 6: 15.1mm thick
Fenix 6X: 14.9mm thick

Mk2S is available in Carbon Gray DLC, with a black band.

Does anyone know if the MK2 series watches have customizable templates? In other words, can I change the screen to whatever layout, content or colors I want? I know the Fenix watches have different themes you can create so it seems this may be possible.
It definitely is quite customizable and has many stock themes and others that can be downloaded or changed with the connect IQ app.

I have a a few main watch screens setup to where it is a pictures of my kids that I rotate through.

It definitely is quite customizable and has many stock themes and others that can be downloaded or changed with the connect IQ app.

I have a a few main watch screens setup to where it is a pictures of my kids that I rotate through.
I was referring specifically to the dive mode screens though. Not sure that's what you meant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom