Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention, it would be nice to know what the tank pressure is before jumping in the water.
But the Mk2i/T1 do tell you the tank pressure before jumping in. That's not the problem.

The problem is the communication mechanism changes from ANT+ above water to sonar below water and that introduces a potential point of failure. And it is actually more than just "potential" as I have already seen a number of reports of it working above water but not below - and also vice versa (although I'm not sure why you'd still dive if it wasn't working, unless perhaps you had an SPG).

Not to mention, it would be nice to know what the tank pressure is before jumping in the water.
Bluetooth...er.. ant +
There's several problems with it, the biggest one is that "truly functional" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Lots of computers run self diagnostics, but yeh there could always be issues..

I found out the other day that the mk series do have a backend that is accessible where you can check functionality on some things. It does look like sonar is in there but I'm not sure what it all entails. Still need to play around with it getting back into it. It was on startup holding a button or two..

Im not far from 100 dives on the mk2i and pod and have plenty of pool sessions and my battery switched back and forth for the last 20 or so from new to good and now is stuck in good. I would rather have a percentage readout.

But the Mk2i/T1 do tell you the tank pressure before jumping in. That's not the problem.

The problem is the communication mechanism changes from ANT+ above water to sonar below water and that introduces a potential point of failure.
Exactly. There may be some valid reasons why Garmin went with the switch, and on paper, it seems that the range is better than the others, but in the real world the extra range is a non-issue for the diver.

Having two different communications methods, without the ability to test the more important one is a problem. At least add in a way to manually activate the Sonar without having to descend.

Bluetooth.
Huh? IIRC, Bluetooth doesn’t work well underwater. So you now have to use another protocol during the dive.

My PPS transmitter works just fine using a single protocol above and below the waterline. At least I can tell that it’s working when I verify tank pressure pre-dive.

Huh? IIRC, Bluetooth doesn’t work well underwater. So you now have to use another protocol during the dive.

My PPS transmitter works just fine using a single protocol above and below the waterline. At least I can tell that it’s working when I verify tank pressure pre-dive.
He said it would be nice to know what's in the tank...before jumping in the water. I can check my tank pressure when I'm on the bow and the tank is in the back of the boat, or through quite a few walls at home.

Yes, it uses two methods above and below as you know.

After accessing part of the computer on startup, I'm thinking that you might be able to test the sonar out on the surface.
.. Or you might find out at around 3 feet when it turns on....or not.:wink: I guess that's better than when most find out that their spg is busted later in a dive but still would suck, more so if you don't have a backup in your kit.

Exactly. And the minispg in my other HP port tells me if the tank is full even without my computer turned on.

Exactly. And the minispg in my other HP port tells me if the tank is full even without my computer turned on.
If you had a Garmin you could just look at your watch since it is always on...and then wonder if you will still know what you have when you are underwater:clearmask:

So after playing with it for a few it does look like you can force a sonar signal strength test while dry. It also looks like it can do other sonar and data tests while under some water.

It does seem to have quite a few other tests and diagnostics you can run on the computer as well, although not super intuitive on the use...

So after playing with it for a few it does look like you can force a sonar signal strength test while dry. It also looks like it can do other sonar and data tests while under some water.

It does seem to have quite a few other tests and diagnostics you can run on the computer as well, although not super intuitive on the use...

How did you get into diagnostic mode?

Back
Top Bottom