Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I one met someone who could hear the ultrasonic alarm that was "inaudible to humans". It turns out, some humans hear stuff they're not supposed to be able to.

I have the air integration.

I don't notice the sound at all. If I listen carefully for it, I can hear it, but if I'm not paying attention to it, it doesn't register at all in my consciousness.
I don't notice it as often when I'm extremely active, wearing a hood (don't hear it at all)or busy focused on tasks at hand.

But when I did hear it, it was an uncomfortable tone. It is much more dialed down of a chirp now so I can go about casual dive without an annoying chirp in my ears.

I one met someone who could hear the ultrasonic alarm that was "inaudible to humans". It turns out, some humans hear stuff they're not supposed to be able to.
I often wondered why Garmin didn't go with one of those inaudible to human sounds, that way only the rare one would ever hear it..

I often wondered why Garmin didn't go with one of those inaudible to human sounds, that way only the rare one would ever hear it..

Since 2 out of 4 posts here say they don't notice it, I'd say they did. As a rule, lower frequencies travel farther, so if you care about the range you'd want to go as low as you can. Which also means more people will hear it.

ISTR the same complaint about liquivision transmitters, back when they were around.

Since 2 out of 4 posts here say they don't notice it, I'd say they did. As a rule, lower frequencies travel farther, so if you care about the range you'd want to go as low as you can. Which also means more people will hear it.

ISTR the same complaint about liquivision transmitters, back when they were around.
2 out of 4 is 50%, I'd say they didnt and is why they added a new option.

Sure there will be some that are tone deaf for the range, dive with a hood or are just task loaded and the bubbles cover the rest.

Everyone that I have personally spoke with that has dove the mk2i and pod have said that they can hear it. That isn't to say all care about the sound that they hear only that many do hear it.

As far as distance it needs to travel, on low I can be at the other end of my pool. Until they add some other features 30 feet should be good.

Because most of the engineering team is over 40yo and can't hear it?

I'm over 40 and can hear highs all right... I just can't tell where it's coming from :confused:

Add me to the, “I can hear it” column (@ 47yrs old) I have found though that if I’m focused on something, or distracted, I don’t notice it.

I haven’t tried reducing the power level of the transmitter to see if that makes a difference as I’m not that bothered by it.

What is more surprising is how quickly the transmitter depletes the battery. Dive master in St. Croix who has one confirmed as well.

What is more surprising is how quickly the transmitter depletes the battery. Dive master in St. Croix who has one confirmed as well.

I'm curious how many dives you are getting on one battery.

I have transmitters for myself and my wife. With 14 dives, the battery level is still reading full.

Transmitter itself. My finding is based off of a brand new, straight out of the box, T1 transmitter. It's entirely possible that the battery in it was just a dud. 2 pool dives with it (total time in the water or pressurized about 5 hrs). Then went to St. Croix and did another 3-4 hrs of diving and got the message that the battery was low. When I remarked about it to the dive master he said, and I quote, "yeah, it eats batteries." So it's all anecdotal, but I went ahead and bought a 10 pack of batteries for it when I got home. :)

Back
Top Bottom