"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We need a new law, and more importantly an agency to enforce it. It's just too expensive for a consumer to take Apple or HP to court over their broken device every single time.
The idea that people can take corporations to court is just impractical. The only chance is if you piss off a lawyer like in this case: Prata v. Superior Court (Bank One, NA) (2001) (I know Bob Prata). Bob unfortunately doesn't dive.

And so is the idea "don't like it, start your own company." The barrier to entry is so high. In the case of mobile phones, Microsoft failed in the market. And a DIYer is supposed to compete with Apple and Google when Microsoft failed? Come on. The right to repair is in the interest of a free market.

Regarding repairs on things like mobile phones and computers. There's a lot of misconception/FUD being spread about it. It really isn't all that difficult, at least compared to "old school" through-hole electronics repair. All you need is a binocular microscope and a temperature controlled heat gun. You can get the latter for like $30 and the former for about $200. You don't need any more skill than you would for "regular" soldering. Even diagnostics on most boards can be done with a bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of even using a meter. You don't need super steady hands or extremely good eyesight. You will need some consumables like solder and flux and isopropyl alcohol...and you CAN spend a lot more on better tools to make the job easier - but you don't have to.

Due to repair obstructions regarding opening some devices you may have trouble actually opening the case. That's definitely the hardest part in repairing a cell phone or tablet. Doable with only the heat gun and a 50 cent pry tool, but it takes some effort.

We need a new law, and more importantly an agency to enforce it.

More government to handcuff the Frankenstein monster companies created by the free market, in an effort to help the free market. Sounds like a legit solution.

We can call it the Ministry of Source Code.

And remember, corporations are people.

More government to handcuff the Frankenstein monster companies created by the free market, in an effort to help the free market. Sounds like a legit solution.

We can call it the Ministry of Source Code.

And remember, corporations are people.
Again, the laws are already in place and they have been since January 4, 1975 - a few months before I was born! We need either a new law enforcement agency or an existing one to actually... enforce the existing law. I suppose this will end up becoming a new law as there's proposed legislation in Congress already and this has enough legs to make it through... seems superfluous when all we need is enforcement of the existing law. That's probably the root of the reason for the executive order - a way to tell appropriate LE, hey guys, do your job.

Edit: actually the existing law is limited to the period of the warranty. What it should do is stop a company from saying "hey Joe, we aren't repairing your iPhone because you dropped it or got it wet or whatever" unless that can be conclusively proven.

So I have to retract my initial reaction that there is not a need for a new law.

The first response to the Order just came in from the FTC: FTC to Ramp Up Law Enforcement Against Illegal Repair Restrictions

The Federal Trade Commission today unanimously voted to ramp up law enforcement against repair restrictions that prevent small businesses, workers, consumers, and even government entities from fixing their own products. The policy statement adopted today is aimed at manufacturers’ practices that make it extremely difficult for purchasers to repair their products or shop around for other service providers to do it for them. By enforcing against restrictions that violate antitrust or consumer protection laws, the Commission is taking important steps to restore the right to repair.

"FTC may consider filling suit against companies under Magnuson moss warranty act"

I'll make some popcorn.......

"FTC may consider filling suit against companies under Magnuson moss warranty act"
Monkeys may fly out of my butt as well. I'm not holding my breath for either.

I mean only like hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the internet complaining in the past decades. It's been featured on lengthy and popular tv programs for years. Yet the FTC did nothing.

I hope they get scubapro for the lifetime warranty scam. In fact, i wonder if there's a web form to lodge an FTC complaint so I can bring it to their attention. I bet it's on the same page where I can register for my own monkey.

Monkeys may fly out of my butt as well. I'm not holding my breath for either.

I mean only like hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the internet complaining in the past decades. It's been featured on lengthy and popular tv programs for years. Yet the FTC did nothing.

I hope they get scubapro for the lifetime warranty scam. In fact, i wonder if there's a web form to lodge an FTC complaint so I can bring it to their attention. I bet it's on the same page where I can register for my own monkey.

So what exactly is the SP PFL scam? Can you document it? They (SP) seem to have so many answers to these requests. "Must be original purchaser with proof of purchase". "Can't buy computer in Europe as part of PFL package". I've heard so many excuses from them but no one has been able to show a document showing that SP is wrong. Anyone?

I don't think the right to repair is a scuba issue, as there's already HOG and Deep 6. Want to get trained and parts for your reg? There you go. Want someone else to do it for you, you can pay someone else to service your regs, including HOG and Deep 6. Not all LDSs will service HOG and Deep 6, but everyone has a LPO (local Post office). With an LPO, you make one trip to the post office (or Fed Ex or UPS). Then sometime later you get it back. And don't tell me that LDSs always are faster, as I waited 6 weeks to get regs serviced. And they still screwed up.

For some things, like farm equipment, John Deere and others decided to control who services the equipment the equipment they sell, and I do think that's a violation of free market principles. If John Deere wants to compete in service, that's fine, but they must allow others to do so as well.

Firmware development is a niche skillset. I'm pretty sure the number of people with the aptitude to fix code or enhance a feature set is MUCH smaller than those that are mechanically inclined to fix a motor or replace parts in an iPad or phone.

It's not only about fixing software issues. It's often that to read out the errors you need a special console that the manufacturer will only provide to a certified dealer and not even every certified dealer. If it were only firmware and code related i'd get it, but it's not at all. This is a problem with all material handling equipment right now: Forklifts, Reachstackers, Diggers, farming machines etc.

example :
My John Deere doesn't work anymore:
It gives error code 01 -10000.
It could just mean my windshieldwiper motor is broken. But without the John Deere certified technician i'm not even able to check it what's wrong.

It's ridiculous, because out of thousands of possible errors most will NOT be software related and are totally fixable by mechanics
In less than 1% of the cases this is actually software related. It's just a software paywall basically.

The only danger is that with these console you are able to override safety settings:
for example forklift height, tilting angles etc.
If the firms were actually about safety and not profit they would lock only these settings behind the use of a proprietary console and give people access to the codes.

But they hide every single thing behind this consolewall.
Your starter broke: 'what a shame' wait for the dealer.
Your turn lights don't work anymore: 'wait for the dealer'.
Your coffee cup holder is jammed: 'wait for the dealer'.
Your wife wants to divorce you: 'wait for the dealer, we'll be with you in a week'.
If it continues like this companies will start installing sensors so you can't replace tires by yourself anymore.It's borderline criminal.

Ofcourse I'm exagerrating here, but it does happen quite often that a simple restart of the machine is all it takes, this can cost companies hundreds of thousands of dollars in that timespan. People tend to forget how much money is at stake when it comes to material handling.

And this all happens while the companies are permanently data mining your machine under the guise of 'protection of your fleet'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom