Why are so many folks selling their Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I see a lot of "for sale" posts on Scuba Board and Facebook for folks who are looking to sell their Shearwater Teric computer.

I have read lots of positive reveiws of Shearwater and their products to include the Teric but it seems like folks are ditching the Teric almost as soon as they have acquired it.

Why is this? Can anyone explain?

-Z

I know that some people have sold it because they still prefer larger text for ease of reading, especially for people who do not have good eyesight. They originally thought that it would be fine. I know someone whose wife has a Perdix and he has the Teric. He had a defective battery and got it replaced. Even after replacement, he is not happy with how quickly the battery drains. When compared to the Perdix that his wife has, he is liking the battery situation more for the short and long run and maintenance aspect of it. He hasn't thought of selling his (yet), but that could be one of the reasons.

Hi @Zef

There have been some problems with the Teric, not just batteries. Shearwater has delivered superb service Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

This may be a partial answer to your question, it is likely multifactorial. I really liked my 1st Teric, but it had some problems and was replaced at just over 100 dives. My second Teric seems perfect, but I only have 12 dives on it on will not have more very soon in the current environment. My current SI is 19 days and the battery is at 94%

I see a lot of "for sale" posts on Scuba Board and Facebook for folks who are looking to sell their Shearwater Teric computer.

I have read lots of positive reviews of Shearwater and their products to include the Teric but it seems like folks are ditching the Teric almost as soon as they have acquired it.

Why is this? Can anyone explain?

-Z
Not sure I agree with your premise. I don't see that many ads....like maybe 2 on SB right now?

SB ads and FB ads are often the same person, I’ve seen two offered in the past week but let’s venture a guess, no diving on this planet for who knows how long, no income, a popular item sitting there that has height resale value (had) and boom. So far I haven’t seen anything but good deals, not any “damn I have two already but for $300 WTH) wait for regulators to go at fire sale prices...

How much is 'a lot'?
I thought I would have opened this post and seen someting like "over the last xxxx, I've seen xxx put up for sale.
I haven't seen 'a lot' with my daily visits here. I don't know about FB, but quantifying it would be helpful.

I guess those who have would have to answer this. No use guessing.

The way people rave about the company, its products, and their customer service, I am just surprised that people are parting with them.

Though I haven't counted the for sale adds that I have seen. it is certainly would not be a whopper of a number if I had, it just seems surprising that people are parting with their Teric, most with relatively little use, after paying a premium for it in the first place.

No big deal, just seems odd to these the for sale ads mixed in with the posts of folks raving about the company.

If I had the expendable cash and/or needed a new computer I would consider buying one of the shearwater products based on what I have read about the company.

-Z

The way people rave about the company, its products, and their customer service, I am just surprised that people are parting with them.
People sell Porsches, Rolexes, and Leicas, too.

I love my Teric. I've had a few offers, but it's a quality product. I just love that it's AI and the compass is awesome.

That being said, I would sell it in a heart beat if I didn't already have a SW that could run my rebreather. I know one guy who bought one for himself, not knowing that his wife had bought one for him for Christmas. What does he do with two? Sell one.

I'm one of those people that just sold their Teric. It's a fantastic computer and I have no major complaints I just preferred the Perdix AI when I had one. I liked the bit bigger display and the ability to change the battery myself. I already have to worry about charging my phone, laptop, camera, strobes, and flashlights on a dive trip I like the idea of a computer that I can just swap out the battery myself and not have to worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom