Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a fast growing thread and I have to join in. I think all of you with older steel tanks should immediately buy some new tanks and send these old dangerous tanks to me!

I think the my newest tanks (outside a couple pony bottles, which are my only aluminum tanks) are from 1998. And there are two of them out of the 10, the others are early 70's down to 1960 with an 1/2in i-valve. Due to the mindset of the first mentioned shop as well as other issues with some LDSs (being both denied and having some tanks wrongfully condemned), I ended up getting VCI certified as well doing deep questioning of all the local dive shops. I found ONE that knows what they are doing, has solid answers, and seems to care about knowing what they are doing and saying. If you can't get informed information from an LDS, keep looking there are good ones out there. Now my LDS (hydro guy) still won't + my tanks without manufacturer docs on the specific serial number (which don't exist by the way) - but most places end up with a decent fill anyway. I love my steel 72's and plan to dive them for a long time.

If I owed/operated a training facility, I would find it necessary that the organization that I work with advertise my business on their website. So that:
1. Students could verify my organization as legitimate.
2. Possible future students could see what certifications I have and can teach.
3. Drumming up future business for those that will be traveling and looking for instructors in an area.

Just food for thought.
I agree . The trouble is the sdi website dosnt have an means for independent instructors to be found. If you are not willing to pay for the facility to be on the site then your instructors are not searchable.

Our little shop only teaches a handful of students a year.
We focus on a personal experience with the highest standards.

We both have real jobs .

Do you know how to make a million dollars in the scuba industry????

Start with 2

Sam:

There is a discussion of the concave bottom tanks about half way down on this page: https://goo.gl/4DssZD

It seems these were used very early at the Broxton Ave address.

@Boiler_81

Dr Miller,
<<(forget the Dr. nonsense - we are all just a bunch o lousy divers on this board
(but some require titles for ego boost )>>>

I told myself I was done with this thread but for you one more:)
<< I also was only going to read it and let the professional posters battle away ).

The tank is stamped Rene and has the Broxton Ave address. It is dated 7-53 and was made by PST.

I purchased it in the Detroit area from the estate of one of the early local divers. At the time of the purchase, I also got a blue label Broxton. At one time, I had his name as his family shared a bit of his history with me. I wish I still had it, maybe you would have known him or knew who he was.

<< That is indeed interesting ! I suspect you have a very rare SCUBA tank that has a significant place in dive history-- Apparently Rene Bussoz some how contracted with PST to produced concave bottom cylinders for the mid west-- never ever seen one in California -- don't sell it and don't make a bell out of it ,
I was just reflecting --all who were divers and were employed by Rene at that time are all gone, Bill Milam, Rus Kessig, Kit Horne,. Dick Anderson.- at this juncture l no way to verify how PST made concave SCUBA cylinders for the mid west >>

Yes, I'm a Purdue Boilermaker now living in MI.
<do you still "Dream about the moon light on the Wabash ? ">

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Sam

I don't need to prove anything to anyone ...and a part of me didn't want to produce a picture because this guy seems to have a hard on against me, hopefully I'm wrong but I wonder about the mental state .To a point that if he was closer to Florida I'd consider calling law enforcement, just in case. He seems far enough so I won't go there.

Also for the record, there was no offer of rental. Not that I would've taken it anyways. For one I had other tanks filled and 2 - NO, I didn't want any business with them after that.

Something was said, don't recall exact words but something to the effect of "see you soon" ,. "comeback soon" or similar. to what I replied: No I won't be back if you're not filling my tanks

Oh yeah.... I'm still waiting for the "Policy" I happen to have a few HP 100s maybe I can fill those at Force E and the old rotten ones in the better dive shop... Ha ha ha!

IMG_20190220_170957021_HDR.jpg

It's been quite a 24 hour cycle. I'm looking forward to the weekend, I have full tanks already on board, and if the seas are 3 foot of less I'll be out diving. Of course I will go to the garden variety reefs of south Florida. Not like I can go to places others dream about.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend. Boat is almost ready to go. I even wrap 550 line on some of my stuff so I have better control for the last days of lobster season.

IMG_20190220_171118312_HDR.jpg IMG_20190217_172517794.jpg

There..... Now I'm done with this.

I agree . The trouble is the sdi website dosnt have an means for independent instructors to be found. If you are not willing to pay for the facility to be on the site then your instructors are not searchable.

Re: bolded

Yes, there is an instructor database. VIP is not an SDI course, it's TDI. And the search function is here.
Search - SDI | TDI | ERDI

The smartest man in the world?

'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."
I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone ...and a part of me didn't want to produce a picture because this guy seems to have a hard on against me, hopefully I'm wrong but I wonder about the mental state .To a point that if he was closer to Florida I'd consider calling law enforcement, just in case. He seems far enough so I won't go there. However just know there's a "stand your ground" law here in Florida, just saying.

Also for the record, there was no offer of rental. Not that I would've taken it anyways. For one I had other tanks filled and 2 - NO, I didn't want any business with them after that.

Something was said, don't recall exact words but something to the effect of "see you soon" ,. "comeback soon" or similar. to what I replied: No I won't be back if you're not filling my tanks

Oh yeah.... I'm still waiting for the "Policy" I happen to have a few HP 100s maybe I can fill those at Force E and the old rotten ones in the better dive shop... Ha ha ha!

View attachment 506370

It's been quite a 24 hour cycle. I'm looking forward to the weekend, I have full tanks already on board, and if the seas are 3 foot of less I'll be out diving. Of course I will go to the garden variety reefs of south Florida. Not like I can go to places others dream about.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend. Boat is almost ready to go. I even wrap 550 line on some of my stuff so I have better control for the last days of lobster season.

View attachment 506372 View attachment 506373

There..... Now I'm done with this.
A snorkel. Geez. First it's old rusted tanks now you use a snorkel. How do you expect to survive?!?!

Force-e just thinks they have to many potential victims, er I mean customers down here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom