i just filled up my doubles while pmv is broken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just filled up my tank while my pmv was broken didnt notice it got complacent.
after figuring it out… i quickly drained my doubles to about 20 bar…

there was a rubbery smell.

question.. assuming the bad air stayed in the tank for 2 hrs. Will i have smelly tank?

pmv will be fixed tomorrow By technician. I will completely drain my doubles and refill with good air.

do i need to open my tank and wash? Or will the bad smell leave the tank since it didnt stay too long

I would be more concerned where the smell came from... that's what's weird in my opinion
it came from the filling whip. last week it wasnt there... but i had 2 tanks that had that smell 2 weeks ago. i washed those tanks with soap. then refilled them and they turned ok. i even smelled the air that came out of the whip. fresh. but today... after filling the doubles. i smelled the whip and it had this rubbery smell... i smelled the tank. it had that rubbery smell too...
after a couple of videos of the fill whip gauge. technician said that its the pmv.

a month ago i had a slight pmv leak... maybe it worsened.

but im more concerned with my doubles? do i need to wash em? or do i try filling the tanks as it is after he fixes the pmv tomorrow?

After your PMV is repaired, and you drain and refill your doubles, get someone who isn't you to sniff them. If they say it smells bad, wash and rinse with simple green crystals and hot water, as hot as you can get. Boil the kettle to mix the simple green.

Run an air test on the compressor so that you are confident in your air supply.

The PMV isn't the source of the smell, but the PMV is what saves your filter cartridge from breaking down.

You might think about changing your filter cartridge, but I wouldn't think a single PMV failure (You said it was working last week) would cause your filter to break down.

If you have an Aqua-Environment PMV, you can easily get a rebuild kit and rebuild the PMV yourself.

After your PMV is repaired, and you drain and refill your doubles, get someone who isn't you to sniff them. If they say it smells bad, wash and rinse with simple green crystals and hot water, as hot as you can get. Boil the kettle to mix the simple green.

Run an air test on the compressor so that you are confident in your air supply.

The PMV isn't the source of the smell, but the PMV is what saves your filter cartridge from breaking down.

You might think about changing your filter cartridge, but I wouldn't think a single PMV failure (You said it was working last week) would cause your filter to break down.

If you have an Aqua-Environment PMV, you can easily get a rebuild kit and rebuild the PMV yourself.

from zero pressure. when i start the compressor with open fill whip... air comes out..
it's not suppose to do that right? until its 150 bar?

ok will do and clean the doubles with simple green.

will repack the filter.

PMV was working last week. or i could be wrong... but i did smell the air output . It smelled very fresh even filled up my doubles and dived it over the weekend. . i think the pmv was working intermitently? is it possible... point of almost failing since over 2 weeks ago i noticed 2 tanks that smelled the same... but the rest of the 8 tanks were fine.

You are correct. Should not get any air out until 1750 or so PSI.

Unless you have a new whip or it got very hot for some reason. I don't understand how it can be the reason for the smell.
Pmv is to back pressure the filter to whatever it's set to so yes, on start up air should not leak, till set pressure....

I would like to know why its leaking possibly a blown oring? Or your filter is coming apart? Some how making heat because of it?

Unless you have a new whip or it got very hot for some reason. I don't understand how it can be the reason for the smell.
Pmv is to back pressure the filter to whatever it's set to so yes, on start up air should not leak, till set pressure....

I would like to know why its leaking possibly a blown oring? Or your filter is coming apart? Some how making heat because of it?
unlikely i was filling at 7:30am. under a shade. when the sun isn't even that warm yet.
btw the Junior2 is 2nd hand.

and No. it was never that HOT. specially filling doubles. i drain every 10mins or less. Doubles started with 110bar. filling time was on the spot 100L/min more or less.

Filter is a stainless aftermarket repackable filter. running only 8 hrs.

Is the whip the original Bauer one or has it been replaced?

Sometimes when people ask a hose manufacturer to make a replacement hose, they get a standard high pressure rubber hydraulic hose instead of a nylon or teflon breathing air hose. The rubber hose can break down and contaminate the air. Might explain where the smell came from.

Obviously no amount of maintenance will fix that issue... the hose is the last thing the air goes through before it's in your cylinder.

8 hours on the pissy little junior filter, and in the humidity of the Philippines and even not in the Philippines

and those crap stainless filter tubes that last half as short

371 IMG_7464.JPG

Do yourself a favour, grab some originals and refill those

A funny story dive shop owner tells me he fills EIGHTY aluminium 80s using ONE p21 refillable, in humidity

These are some of the dumkopfs you have to deal with people, the molecular sieve was wet and like paste

Because somebody told him he could

Back
Top Bottom