Last minute trip for Dec- Inexperienced diver Need your suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,

Another question: so Tres Pelicanos, Blue Magic and Dive with Martin all gave me quotes.

Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic are both quite expensive for me: ~$550 ( includes 5 days dive+DM first day + gear)

Dive with Martin is much cheaper but they mostly have afternoon dives : <$300 ( includes 5 days dive+DM first day + gear)

I am not sure if I should go with the more expensive option. Is it really worth it? Or should I look for other dive shops? I also wanted to do a night dive (never done it before). However, Tres Pelicanos, Blue Magic and Dive with Martin all said that it depends on the demand- right now they aren't doing it.

Appreciate what you think!

Hey guys,

Another question: so Tres Pelicanos, Blue Magic and Dive with Martin all gave me quotes.

Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic are both quite expensive for me: ~$550 ( includes 5 days dive+DM first day + gear)

Dive with Martin is much cheaper but they mostly have afternoon dives : <$300 ( includes 5 days dive+DM first day + gear)

I am not sure if I should go with the more expensive option. Is it really worth it? Or should I look for other dive shops? I also wanted to do a night dive (never done it before). However, Tres Pelicanos, Blue Magic and Dive with Martin all said that it depends on the demand- right now they aren't doing it.

Appreciate what you think!

DWM's website states $305 for a 5 day package. "Private" DMs are usually around $50 for a two tank trip. Makes me wonder if there was a communication mix up? With the other two shop's quotes, it looks as though they've accounted for the extra $50 for a "private" DM.

DWM is a much larger operation than the other two. They have lots of happy customers, but personally, I'd go with a smaller shop. Probably a little more like diving with family. You'll have a "private" DM on the first day with those two shops. It'll be just you and a DM and the rest of the group on the boat will have a DM guiding them.

I dove with Blue Magic some years ago and they had the most comfortable "fast boat" I've been on. Can't remember the name but I think it started with a Z or an X and was Greek Myth related or something like that. Zeus? It was wide and had nice cushioning on the seats and floor.

Any of the three will do a good job, but the pluses of the 2 smaller ops would sway me. They aren't big machines with more parts to keep track of.

With most shops you let them know right away that you want to do a night dive and they'll keep track of that and do what they can to garner interest from other divers. Most want 3 or 4 divers at a minimum for a night dive. I've never been shut out, but it can happen. It's a day by day thing. I suspect that any shop that said, "right now they aren't doing it", means "we're not doing it tonight, but tomorrow? Maybe."

DWM has morning dives everyday. An early 7:15 at their dock. Afternoon and night dives requires 4 people minimum.

You're pretty much a new diver. I don't think you will notice much difference between any of these ops at this time. Personally, if I were in your fins, and money is an issue, I'd go with DWM.

One question: how much should I pay for DAN dive insurance?
That would depend on which state you're in, which you've kept secret. It doesn't show on your posts anyway.

DAN Dive Insurance is essential, an involves two charges...
  1. Membership: $35/year, but you get a great magazine and support a great organization. It's not St.Dan, it's had some problems, but it's the best we have.
  2. Your choice of insurance plans. In some states you can get their old Standard plan, but don't. It sucks and it's only $10 cheaper than the next. I have asked about that and they tell me that enough still want that plan, and since it is a membership organization - they still offer it in some states anyway. They are making some updates, but each state has to approve.
I have less than 500 dives but I have seen 6 divers leave in ambulances. Crap happens. Two of those would not have survived if they had not had DAN to get them back to the states in expensive air ambulances. Diving is mostly safe with dangerous possibilities, and I don't want to scare you - if anyone should have been hurt, it'd be me with some of my mistakes, but if crap hits the fan, you want fast service and funding.

Shop here and sign up: Scuba Diving Accident Insurance — About Scuba Insurance Programs — DAN | Divers Alert Network

I do the Master plan which is $40 I believe, it carries a lot more perks vs. the standard plan.
The Standard plan just sucks. You and I are in states with the same choices, and I took the Preferred plan. $35 more, but twice the benefits. It's a personal call, tho. How well do you want to be covered if things go bad? The Master plan is a pretty good choice.

I read about a old British diver who died in Australia recently, his wife with him on the trip, and she was in trouble trying to get his body back to the UK, trying to pay extra hotels expenses for her, trying to rebook her plane ticket with no help from the airlines, etc. Just sad.

As far as ATMs go, I avoid them by going to my local bank before leaving and just getting Pesos to take with me
You can, but my bank gives louse rates - and I don't want to carry too much cash around. My last trips have involved almost all expenses in USD so it didn't matter much, but that can vary.

On our first Coz trip we soon started taking cabs to eat dinner in town. The AI Occidental food was awful.
Oh gawd! On one group trip I mistakenly booked, we stayed at a popular southern resort - popular for its free bar mostly I think. The rest of my group took off after the morning dives to change, eat, and drink - but I had managed an afternoon dive, so I wanted to stay in my wetsuit. I went to the outdoor buffet and it was covered in flies! No one else seemed bothered, already drunk I guess, but I marched into the restaurant, wet suit and all, waiting for them to dare to say anything. They didn't.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Hot Cozumel when I could get a great AI rates. The food was fine with me, and I really liked the beachside cafe. At least it's not an expensive trip if you want to go to town.

That doesn't sound right. You're saying less than $300? Typing words is not that difficult to be sure you are clear.

DWM's website states $305 for a 5 day package. "Private" DMs are usually around $50 for a two tank trip. Makes me wonder if there was a communication mix up?
Plus 16% tax?

You're pretty much a new diver. I don't think you will notice much difference between any of these ops at this time. Personally, if I were in your fins, and money is an issue, I'd go with DWM.
Yep, I take my own gear, lights, tank testers, and everything, and I prefer 3Ps - but for him, I think DWM would be fine.

Last edited:
Sorry DWM is asking for $350 (includes taxes ) versus ~$550 for the other two Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic. The difference in cost is mainly due to gear. DWM doesn't charge for gear. Private DM is cheaper for DWM too.

And they are nice! Best if you go to the shop the first day to make sure they load your rental gear and sort everything out.

Ill be joining them for 24 dives in february.

Sorry DWM is asking for $350 (includes taxes ) versus ~$550 for the other two Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic. The difference in cost is mainly due to gear. DWM doesn't charge for gear. Private DM is cheaper for DWM too.
Yeah, I think the free gear is your big savings. Your post above said "(includes 5 days dive+DM first day + gear)," but I think a private DM the first day will be extra - still worth it. DWM is cash only, and the $2/park fee is extra, but still a good buy. As MMM suggested, as a new diver, you wouldn't notice the difference from the others mentioned. Their price to add Twilight & Night dives is kinda high, but their $30 add-on for one night dive is nice, plus $10 light.

Even tho their prices include free mask use, take your own, along with a safety sausage & storm whistle. There is always a chance of getting blown out by a norther ("Norte"), but your plan is to dive 5 out of 6 days so you have some flexibility. You can safely dive the day before your flight as long as you have 16 hours dry time, and you won't have gear to dry before packing.

And they are nice! Best if you go to the shop the first day to make sure they load your rental gear and sort everything out.
I'd go the day I arrived to confirm everything, show card, fill out paperwork, pay, try on BC, and check the reg assigned to you.

Hello Guy's,
What if any is the general feeling about ProDive Mexico over at the Allegro? Are they any good? There are many ops on Cozumel by the look and sound of things here. It seems so convenient to have an operator on the hotel site. All responses appreciated..
Yes, we just came back from 5 day trip to Cozumel last week. We stayed in Allegro and dove with ProDive shop there. Very convenient location, keep you equipment there or free rent. They run 2 dives in the morning and 2 dives in afternoon with occasional night dives. Great operation, experienced DMs, good boats, small groups of 4-6 people per DM. We had only 3 days of diving, but were able to do 11 dives on nitrox which comes about $38/dive

Yes, we just came back from 5 day trip to Cozumel last week. We stayed in Allegro and dove with ProDive shop there. Very convenient location, keep you equipment there or free rent. They run 2 dives in the morning and 2 dives in afternoon with occasional night dives. Great operation, experienced DMs, good boats, small groups of 4-6 people per DM. We had only 3 days of diving, but were able to do 11 dives on nitrox which comes about $38/dive
O.K. Thank you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom