Last minute trip for Dec- Inexperienced diver Need your suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And in his prior post he stated that he is "Particular about safety though" with regard to the food a restaurant may serve outside his all-inclusive compound. Last time I checked, "death by food poisoning" resides at about risk #999 out of 1000 risks to be considered on a dive vacation. Risk #1000 is the plane crashes!
Death by food poisoning? What are you talking about? This is sooo far out of context.

Thanks guys!

My last dive was Barracuda Point (Sipadan) in Malaysia. I cannot wait to get back into the water. Any dives you recommend I should do for my level?

Thanks guys!

My last dive was Barracuda Point (Sipadan) in Malaysia. I cannot wait to get back into the water. Any dives you recommend I should do for my level?
It's unlikely that you will be choosing the sites. I imagine the DM will make that call. That's not the case for all ops (which was why some were suggesting the ones they did) but I think it will be the case this time around. I imagine you will enjoy them all. I do.

Thanks guys!

I think I would just inform the DM you'd prefer to dive sites that have less drift/current. Some sites are known for having more current than others... Thinking Cedral, Santa Rosa Wall, Punta Tunich. There will be some drift at most all sites but I for one am not a fan of drift to the point you're locked into a fly-over for a dive. Also, don't believe the only sites you'll see turtles, sharks, eagle rays, morays, etc. have to be the more advanced dives... those critters can be seen on all the dive sites as I proved with my pics of a dive on Columbia shallows on the December roll call thread... the question is do you want to fly over 6 turtles or have the chance to hang out with 3-4? My favorite dive in coz is the horseshoe as it offers a little bit of everything in a multi level dive. Horseshoe followed by Columbia shallows or Palancar Gardens is a nice combo.

Horseshoe was great the other day. Started out in the sand where we saw an electric ray, small stingray and a crab leg sticking out of a hole. Further investigation saw a small orangey pink octopus having breakfast in the hole. Looking back I should have slowly pulled the crab leg out but I didn't. Snagged 6 lions, the 1st we saw El grande at 110' but he took off before my son got close. Damm. The rest were smaller and not so lucky. :)

I was just there two weeks ago and I dove with Tres Pelicanos for a very positive experience. I arrived the same way that you did, via Cancun, took the ADO bus from the airport to PDC, walked the three blocks from the bus terminal to the ferry terminal and arrived in cozumel three hours after landing in Cancun. it was very easy and inexpensive. There are many places close to Tres Pelicanos, my brother and I stayed at the Amaranto B&B and ate breakfast each morning two blocks away at the Cozumelena which opens at 7 am and we were always out within 15-20 minutes and just three blocks from the dive shop. Aldora is also an excellent dive shop and right across the street from Tres Pelicanos. We moved to PDC for our last two days and dived the cenotes with Cenote Xperience which was the highlight of our trip. We did 3 dives with them before flying out the next day. it was truly one of the most memorable dive experiences of my life and I LOVED that I didn't have to scrub all of the salt off my gear when I got home! I took $300 of pesos with me (over 6,000 pesos) and that paid for all my transportation and all meals for the trip. You get a better rate in both of these towns if you pay in pesos rather than the posted USD rate.

We moved to PDC for our last two days and dived the cenotes with Cenote Xperience which was the highlight of our trip. We did 3 dives with them before flying out the next day. .
Centones look awesome! Did you dive in DoS Ojos?

Also where did you stay when you moved to PDC. My flight is at 7 am and I want to do the centones the day before. I need to find a place to stay. Do you recommend staying in PDC or Cancun?

You're there now, aren't you? Where are you staying, and whom are you diving with?

Also where did you stay when you moved to PDC. My flight is at 7 am and I want to do the centones the day before. I need to find a place to stay. Do you recommend staying in PDC or Cancun?
There are buses as early as 3am so you can get to the airport early enough for the required check-in, but it might be simpler to take the PDC bus to downtown Cancun on the 26th since you don't have gear to dry, stay at a hotel near the bus station, then take the 4:30am bus to the airport.

When I checked on this last week the hotels in downtown Cancun were getting tight now its silly, I normally stay at Kin Mayab for $30 a night, now its showing at $177. At this point I would find a hotel where ever I could as cheap as I can, really soon.

Centones look awesome! Did you dive in DoS Ojos?

Sorry Angelfish- I didn't see this until way too late. I dove the pit and dos ojos (Barbie line and bat cave). I hope that you were able to make it work with your itinerary. For future reference, I found airbnb and TripAdvisor (vacation rentals, not hotels) to be the best choice for my lodging needs.

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom